GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Composting twigs and sticks (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/84416-composting-twigs-sticks.html)

Andrew Gabb 01-10-2004 11:31 AM

Composting twigs and sticks

Is there any way I can accelerate the composting of relatively dry
twigs and sticks up to 10mm thick? Some of them are grape/glory vines.

Would soaking them in water for a week or two beforehand help?

I have no problem at all in composting green material. I use large
Gedye bins, if that's relevant, which it probably isn't.

Andrew
--
Andrew Gabb
email: Adelaide, South Australia

len gardener 01-10-2004 07:03 PM

g'day andrew,

unless you can get them through a chipper i can't see much else
working, i bury mine under the mulch around my fruit trees, or lay
them on top of the news paper as the first layer when i am making a
new garden bed.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

my e/mail addies have spam filters you should know what to delete before you send.

Terry Collins 02-10-2004 03:19 AM

Andrew Gabb wrote:

Is there any way I can accelerate the composting of relatively dry
twigs and sticks up to 10mm thick? Some of them are grape/glory vines.

chipper,
compression,
addinf water,
covering with other composted material,