GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Help with Horseradish (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/84458-help-horseradish.html)

Geoff Spooner 03-10-2004 12:32 AM

Help with Horseradish

For several years I have tried to grow Horseradish . but only produce
plants with long skinny
roots that are useless for grating.Can anyone advise me how to get thick
roots more like a carrot.
I live in Perth WA. Is the climate wrong ? , This is my 1st posting.

Chookie 21-10-2004 11:24 AM

In article ,
Geoff Spooner wrote:

For several years I have tried to grow Horseradish . but only produce
plants with long skinny
roots that are useless for grating.Can anyone advise me how to get thick
roots more like a carrot.
I live in Perth WA. Is the climate wrong ? , This is my 1st posting.

My Dad has a similar result here in Sydney on clay soil (which is what we
thought the problem was!), but he still grates whatever he can get. I would
suggest not putting too much nitrogen on it, or you might end up with all
leaves and no roots. Try plenty of mulch to improve the soil's texture though.

BTW, you use horseradish leaves in pickling to keep cucumbers firm.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Life is like a cigarette -- smoke it to the butt." -- Harvie Krumpet