GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Mondo Grass???? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/85338-mondo-grass.html)

Roo 22-10-2004 07:29 AM

Mondo Grass????

Hi,
my six inch wide border under the pergola, getting liitle to no sun,
I have tried some Mondo Grass, Flora-edge strips, cost $17 for about a 12"
strip, they reckon it grows to six inches in height but I wonder how fast it
will extend along the border. They reckon just water every day. My border
is about 10 metres long so I will just be buying a few strips.

Any ideas
Roo

John Savage 29-10-2004 12:40 AM

"Roo" writes:
my six inch wide border under the pergola, getting liitle to no sun,
I have tried some Mondo Grass, Flora-edge strips, cost $17 for about a 12"
strip, they reckon it grows to six inches in height but I wonder how fast it
will extend along the border. They reckon just water every day. My border
is about 10 metres long so I will just be buying a few strips.

Mondo is tough. It probably would stand being watered every day, but why
so much watering? Twice a week sounds plenty, even in sandy soil.

Anyway, my experience is that it is VERY SLOW spreading. Probably won't
see any new tufts this year, then each season just a few new plants pop
up on the periphery of the strip. I'd say my clump of mondo spreads about
half an inch per year. I broke it up and planted the individual plants,
to get a wider coverage, and with the years it fills in the gaps.

It's slow to grow upwards .... and outwards!