Old 27-10-2004, 10:58 AM
Syracuse

Default artichokes

Hi Again

Artichokes (Globe) doing OK but when do I pick? The largest is starting to
droop by it's weight.

Thanks.

Old 28-10-2004, 12:27 AM
Geodyne

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 19:58:26 +1000, "Syracuse" boo wrote:

Artichokes (Globe) doing OK but when do I pick? The largest is starting to
droop by it's weight.

Then it's too late. I'd recommend that you remove these ones and pick
the next lot of flowers whent hey're smaller. Alternatively, let one
flower and enjoy how pretty it is.

Artichokes are at their best when they're small. Typically, the size
of the ones you buy in the supermarket is the maximum size you want to
pick them at.

Me, I prefer then the size of a golfball. You don't even have to
remove the choke when they're that size.

Oh, and I'm jealous. Having removed the artichokes from the back yard
last year, I haven't had any flowers from the ones in the poor clay of
my front yard this year.

Geodyne
Old 28-10-2004, 08:28 AM
David Hare-Scott

"Syracuse" boo wrote in message ...
:
:
: Hi Again
:
: Artichokes (Globe) doing OK but when do I pick? The largest is starting to
: droop by it's weight.
:
: Thanks.
:
:

Pick while they are still hard and tight before any sign of the bud opening,
generally not more than about 6-8 cm across.

David

Old 28-10-2004, 11:38 PM
Syracuse

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

"Syracuse" boo wrote in message ...
:
:
: Hi Again
:
: Artichokes (Globe) doing OK but when do I pick? The largest is starting
: droop by it's weight.
:
: Thanks.
:
:

Pick while they are still hard and tight before any sign of the bud
opening,
generally not more than about 6-8 cm across.

David

Thanks for the replies. FYI there are only two plants, both in 500mm dia.
pots with potting mix. They look ok.

Graeme

Artichokes? Jan Flora Gardening 2 22-03-2003 10:56 PM
Have you ever grown Jerusalem Artichokes? Mike Davis Edible Gardening 7 13-03-2003 02:20 PM
Jerusalem Artichokes THECHILLIS United Kingdom 4 08-03-2003 09:27 PM
jerusalem artichokes Sue Chamberlain United Kingdom 6 22-02-2003 10:39 PM
Artichokes - What's in a name Dave Hunt United Kingdom 8 21-10-2002 09:38 PM