Old 21-11-2004, 04:49 AM
len gardener

there was a lot of other points imentioned in my post andrew,

when i lived in the city i installed a 1,000 gallon tank rolled it off
the truck slid it under the high set house, installed on demand elect'
pump that came with a 3 pin lead attached too easy! ran some pipe to
the kitchen and a tap hey presto, no worries oh and no rebates then
either. at that time the tank, bypass filter system and pump came as a
special deal so shop around hey, you may be surprised how far a tank
manufacturer will go to sell a tank.

in rural we had to pay for 3 x 5,000 gallon tanks at a cost of around
$1800 each buy elect' on demand pump and plumb it into the house we
pay for more power because each time we need water the pump comes on
and guess what no rebates not even on the power. would like a couple
more but then money don't come cheap.

from what i see buy and large city folk can be very wastefull how many
do you know that use some of the oprions i mentioned in my earlier
post? my guess not many at all.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

my e/mail addies have spam filters you should know what to delete before you send.
Old 21-11-2004, 11:31 AM
Charles

Andrew Puddifer wrote:
Well, Mr Idealist, perhaps you could give me some of your ideal
money
for my tanks then.

Why? Why should anyone need to get rebates for doing something that's
environmentally sensible? And since I am a low-paid retail drone I don't
really have enough money to buy a tank for myself, let alone give some to
someone else.

Perhaps it's better not to assume you know of one's situation
before
you comment.

Where on earth did I make an assumption about *anyone's* situation? Perhaps
it's better to try some English comprehension lessons before criticising
another's post?

Some people have to save money to purchase several thousand dollars
worth of tanks, and it's not a trivial amount.

No indeed, as I said above I can't afford to get one myself. There's no
rebate where I live so that doesn't come into it. But the lack of a rebate
won't stop me buying a tank (I don't need anyone to give me a handout to
encourage me)...I'll buy one when I can afford it regardless.

Why shouldn't people receive rebates? I bet you take any rebate you
can get....

Of course I would...if I am entitled why shouldn't I take it? (although as
I said...my council is so backwards -- or poor -- that it doesn't offer
rebates for tanks)

Oh...and where did I say people shouldn't get rebates? I was commenting on
some people bitching about not getting a big enough rebate and implying (to
my mind at least) that if there was no rebate they'd not be bothering to
conserve this wet watery stuff...something that I regard as a poor
reflection on them (and maybe society as a whole)

And others were whinging about not being allowed to wash their cars for
goodness sake! As though that's an essential of life.

I just don't think any sensible person should *need* a rebate to do
something environmentally responible. (Or to see that it's far better to
have a dirty car than to waste water when it's scarce)

Charles
--
If some days are diamonds & some days are stone --
Then some days I live in a quarry!!
Old 21-11-2004, 11:45 AM
Charles

Andrew Puddifer wrote:

With all due respect,

(But precious little understanding or comprehension.)

So what if someone wants to wash their car with the rainwater they
save? Isn't it far better than using town water?

Of course it's better to use rainwater to wash your car...bathe in it for
all I care...geez drink it even...The poster I was commenting on was
bitching about bureaucrat not letting him/her use water to water the garden
or wash the car....that was *NOT* using rainwater but water board provided
treated costly water, as the bureaucrats can't stop you from using your
rainwater for whatever you want...well....maybe not for feeding a still to
make moonshine..but you get what I mean...no...actually *you* probably
don't...Oh god why did I start this post??

Did you know that in large cities you have to wash your car? The
pollution pretty quickly destroys them if you don't, and a lot of us
can't afford to swap cars every 3 years......most people I know don't
water their lawns either......

I don't believe this...not with modern metal finishing and paint
technology...cite please?

It's not a cash reward, it's a rebate. For some, that money may be the
difference between installing a tank and not. Have you considered that
some people don't have a spare $1500 for even a modest tank???

A modest poly tank costs far less than that even out here in western Qld.

Charles
Old 21-11-2004, 11:48 AM
Charles

"SG1" wrote:

Washing the rain gauge worked 26.2mm in overnight storms. First decent
fall for a while.
Jim

Congrats Jim...we had some storm and rain today too..hopefully the farmers
around the area got more.

Charles
Old 21-11-2004, 10:50 PM
SG1

Followed up with another 58.8mm yesterday arvo & overnight. The swamp (yard)
now needs a day or two to dry out. At least the harvest is over now only
minor wet days during it. Maybe the local cockies can get in a summer crop
or 7.
Jim

Old 21-11-2004, 11:11 PM
John Savage

Kirsty writes:
We have installed 4 tanks for the garden and a tank for excess water, to
flush the toilet. At present the cost of installing these tanks isn't
'worth' the money, as water in Australia is so cheap.

The available water might prove its worth if you are in bushfire area.

Do you think Sydney is going to have even more severe water shortages
than it has now ? From recent 'studies' it indicates that this will be
the case.

Sydney to experience up to 100 days per year when the temp exceeds
30 degrees by mid-century, if some predictions are to be believed.
Well, that part of Sydney which is still above water after the polar
ice has melted and raised the sea levels. :-(

Old 22-11-2004, 12:37 AM
Aprill

Andrew Puddifer wrote:
With all due respect,

I agree that SOME city people use ridiculous amounts of water, I have
seen it. But by far the biggest wasters of water in large cities are
businesses.
But you have to consider that installing a tank in a surburban area is
not as easy as backing up that 32ft tray truck the tanks come in on,
hoisting it up with the Hiab crane and plonking it down into position. I
know that's how it's done in the country, but what do you do if you have
no access to the place you want the tank to go? Who pays for the crane
hire?

These days tanks can be brought in on a trailer. I'm building a house on
an acreage with no town water. A 96000 litre tank has just been installed.
The water container is a bladder and the colorbond ring arrives in
panels. Easy peasy, japanesey.. no cranes.. no rolling massive poly
tanks off the back of a truck.

cheerio...
aprill
Old 22-11-2004, 04:04 AM
Terry Collins

Andrew Puddifer wrote:

but the fact that I must have the tanks plumbed into my
house plumbing to get the rebate is making it difficult to justify...

If "they" were serious about saving water, they would be reducing demand
by encouraging composting and non-flush toilets, thus saving an average
of 40% on water usage for each household.

We are looking at "recycling" grey water before additional water tanks,
although the recycling will require another water tank (at least). The
"cost" of plumbing and the running cost in electricity is another major
discouragement. I doubt if my local council would be happy with the
installation of a windmill for water pumping on my suburban lot.
Old 22-11-2004, 04:15 AM
Terry Collins

Aprill wrote:

The water container is a bladder and the colorbond ring arrives in
panels. Easy peasy, japanesey.. no cranes.. no rolling massive poly
tanks off the back of a truck.

Brand?

On the other point, my width and height limitation is what will fit
under my neighbour's rolladoor. We then fling it over the back fence.
Old 22-11-2004, 05:11 AM
Amy Lou

"BCL" wrote in message
news
I have just spent about $1700 on a couple of water tanks plus the
necessary fittings just to store less than $5 worth of water (5000
litres).

Admittedly I will get $400 back from the water board but wonder on
reflection whether it was worth the money and effort just to be able
to water the garden and wash the car!

If you are relying on rain to fill the tank what happens when there is no
rain? No washing the car and the garden goes brown? Perhaps it wasn't worth
it, because it doesn't take long to use up a tank load of water.

Amy

Old 22-11-2004, 07:22 AM
len gardener

g'day amy,

we have yup no rain and an empty tank says it all you can buy water
though.

we have 3 X 5,400 gallon tanks, when they are full they last a long
time, we also monitor water use and check tank levels to see when some
belt tightening is needed. we don't wash rust buckets we wait until it
rains for that event, as some city folk do and we don't water lawns as
some other city folk do. we share a bath (no showers they are
wastefull and also very hard to monitor water usage, plus unless you
have the shower over a tub you can't save the water for other uses).

we use a waterless composting toilet (now don't lots of city folk turn
their noses up at that idea oh don't worry so do those who move to
rural and won't give up the bad habits). our grey water goes to the
food trees. we use a twin tub washer and one load of water generally
does all the washing as does 1 load of rinse water we wash the
cleanest stuff first, and on those occassion that the bath water
doesn't look that dirty we use it in the w/machine.

we water vegetable or food plants only no roses or pansies here. and
in dry spells when rain is scarce we leave grass long as cutting it
dries out what moisture you may have.

and then it's just mulch, mulch, mulch and more mulch, end result we
don't water our citrus or stone fruit trees.

generally you will find anyone in the city who buys a tank will only
buy something of 1,000 gallons or less in lots of cases available
space limits the choice, but there are still lots of folk who could
put in biger tanks ie.,. 3,000+ gallon sizes.

we save all our night water so nu flushing that with good drinking
water here it goes to select vegetables after adding some water to
make it go further. now imagine if more city folk bit those bullets
maybe just maybe there wouldn't be a water shortage.

i could go on but better put the soap box away for now.

len

Old 22-11-2004, 09:57 AM
BCL

wrote:

"BCL" wrote in message
news
I have just spent about $1700 on a couple of water tanks plus the
necessary fittings just to store less than $5 worth of water (5000
litres).

Admittedly I will get $400 back from the water board but wonder on
reflection whether it was worth the money and effort just to be able
to water the garden and wash the car!

If you are relying on rain to fill the tank what happens when there is no
rain? No washing the car and the garden goes brown? Perhaps it wasn't worth
it, because it doesn't take long to use up a tank load of water.

No I am not worried about filling them I am more annoyed about the
water that will be running out the overflow. The problem is finding
space for them, I opted for a couple of 2500 litre tanks purely
because finding a space to put them without obstructing or reducing
the convenience and use of the block was hard to do. I should say I
live on a large flat block with an old weatherboard cottage on it so
compared to the McMansions on a postage stamp block that most people
seem to buy today I am probably spoilt for choice. but even so it was
hard finding a place near the best water source that didn't require
council approval etc etc (they don't provided certain rules are
foillowed.)

Actually I don't wash my car (maybe once or twice a year) because I
use my bike or walk most places and I rarely water the garden but I
think you will be amazed how much water actually falls in a rainstorm,
I square metre covered in 1mm of water is a litre. I live in the
Illawarra and the average annual rainfall is about 1340 mm . So even a
6 by 6 metre garage would collect 48000 litres per annum (I hope my
maths is right) The lowest average monthly rainfall of 60mm in July
from the same garage would yield 2100 litres (and the highest monthly
rainfall is over twice that) and I am actually collecting from about 3
times that area. even if the 60mm a month was to become the norm I
think the tanks would be kept reasonably full.

About 10 minutes after I finished plumbing (I use the word loosely)
the tank on the side of my house a thunderstorm erupted and the
heavens opened. My youngest son was fascinated by the water escaping
from the 1mm hole at the base of the first flush device and he
collected five bucket fulls from that source alone. One relatively
short rainstorm nearly half filled one 2500 litre tank merely a couple
of days after it was plonked in place.

Somebody asked about the rebate you get, it is $150 for up to 4000
litre $400 for 4000 to 7000 litre and $500 for over 7000. plus you
also can get an additional $150 if you plumb it into the toilet and/or
washing machine. To be honest in an old house like mine the latter
isn't worth the effort you would be better off using buckets. retro
fitting is expensive. This is from Sydney Water which covers my bit of
the Illawarra too.

Regards
Bruce
Old 22-11-2004, 09:59 AM
BCL

On 21 Nov 2004 10:31:45 GMT, Charles wrote:

Oh...and where did I say people shouldn't get rebates? I was commenting on
some people bitching about not getting a big enough rebate and implying (to
my mind at least) that if there was no rebate they'd not be bothering to
conserve this wet watery stuff...something that I regard as a poor
reflection on them (and maybe society as a whole)

If anyone has limited comprehension it appears to be you, Just where
was anyone bitching? The original message merely an ironic comment on
the amount paid out to store less than $5 worth of water. As it was
obvious from the message the system had been installed then it would
be a reasonable assumption that one wouldn't have done it if one
didn't think it was worth it. The rebate was neither here nor there.

The only bitching is by you whinging about someone doing something
that you think is a good thing but that you haven't done yourself. For
goodness sake wake up to yourself stop behaving like a whining loser.

Regards
Bruce
Old 22-11-2004, 11:06 AM
Amy Lou

"BCL" wrote

About 10 minutes after I finished plumbing (I use the word loosely)
the tank on the side of my house a thunderstorm erupted and the
heavens opened. My youngest son was fascinated by the water escaping
from the 1mm hole at the base of the first flush device and he
collected five bucket fulls from that source alone. One relatively
short rainstorm nearly half filled one 2500 litre tank merely a couple
of days after it was plonked in place.

We have a downpour like that once in a blue moon. I used to live near Sydney
so I remember what real rain was like. Wonderful stuff. Big drops. Thunder
and lightning. Down here where I live in Tassie the rain might last for days
and still it won't make much difference to the level in the water tank. Its
piddly stuff! Hobart has the second lowest annual average rainfal of any
capital city in Australia. Still, we manage.

Amy

Old 22-11-2004, 09:54 PM
Aprill

Terry Collins wrote:
Aprill wrote:

The water container is a bladder and the colorbond ring arrives in
panels. Easy peasy, japanesey.. no cranes.. no rolling massive poly
tanks off the back of a truck.

Brand?

Pioneer ..

http://www.pioneertanks.com.au/html/aboutus.html