Old 20-11-2004, 12:34 AM
J Wilson

Default Alternative to Virginia Creeper?

I like everything about the Virginia Creeper, it can self adhere to a
wall, has lovely coloured foliage and is dense, not only at the top of a
wall near the sun, but will effectively cover the wall from the bottom. Only
catch is its deciduous. Is there a similar self adhering creeper with these
characteristics which will cover a wall densely all year round?

Old 20-11-2004, 07:13 AM
Ken Oaf

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 10:34:40 +1100, "J Wilson" wrote:

I like everything about the Virginia Creeper, it can self adhere to a
wall, has lovely coloured foliage and is dense, not only at the top of a
wall near the sun, but will effectively cover the wall from the bottom. Only
catch is its deciduous. Is there a similar self adhering creeper with these
characteristics which will cover a wall densely all year round?

Ivy or creeping fig (Ficus Pumila, I think it is).

Old 23-11-2004, 10:19 AM
Chookie

In article u,
"J Wilson" wrote:

I like everything about the Virginia Creeper, it can self adhere to a
wall, has lovely coloured foliage and is dense, not only at the top of a
wall near the sun, but will effectively cover the wall from the bottom. Only
catch is its deciduous. Is there a similar self adhering creeper with these
characteristics which will cover a wall densely all year round?

Problem is that you usually only get beautiful foliage with deciduous plants!
I second Ken's suggestion of creeping fig, but I think it's probably a lot
slower-growing then Virginia creeper. I usually see it growing on front
fences.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Life is like a cigarette -- smoke it to the butt." -- Harvie Krumpet