Old 21-11-2004, 10:15 AM
andr0meda

Default Alexandra palm

Hi,
Could someone please advise about Alexandra palms:
1) How close apart can they be planted? I would like to try 1.5 m apart or
closer if I can
2) How far way from the house do they have to be? My builder believes any
tree to endanger the house by its roots, but I was hoping 3 metres away from
the wall would be safe? I mean, are the roots invasive?
3) also, I intend to plant my Alexandras right next to the fence (limited
space) but the roots will only have one side of the fence; can't go under as
my yard is elevated by about 3/4 m against my neighbors.
Thanks in advace,
Andr0

Old 21-11-2004, 04:32 PM
len gardener

g'day andro,

you can plant them closer tohether if you want they then tend to grow
with that coconut palm look you know grow away from each other a bit
then curve up looks great.

i've never found alex' roots to be invasive, 3 meters will be fine you
could go for 2 even its just that if the frond touch the house the
palm will angle away a little, and alex fronds aren't heavy like the
royals.

can't see any problems occuring along the fence line.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

my e/mail addies have spam filters you should know what to delete before you send.
Old 22-11-2004, 12:49 PM
andr0meda

Many thanks Len,

Sounds like a perfect choice for me! I ordered two 2 mtr high plants; now I
am going to ask for another 2.
Hopefully they will provide some shade for my fry pan-like yard (full sun
for sure) and maybe chase 'keekukoo' grass away.

Regards,

Andr0

"len gardener" wrote in message
g'day andro,

you can plant them closer tohether if you want they then tend to grow
with that coconut palm look you know grow away from each other a bit
then curve up looks great.

i've never found alex' roots to be invasive, 3 meters will be fine you
could go for 2 even its just that if the frond touch the house the
palm will angle away a little, and alex fronds aren't heavy like the
royals.

can't see any problems occuring along the fence line.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

"in the end ya' gotta do what ya' gotta do" but consider others and the

environment