Old 22-11-2004, 10:00 AM
Andrew G

Default OT Computer question for the tech minded

Hi Everyone,
Recently ran a virus scan and noticed how long it took to run through all
these particular files apparently located in the temporary internet files
folder under a folder called content.ie5. Content.ie5 does not show up, even
with "show all files" chosen. It can only be found and accessed through a
search/find files. It appears to hold content of web files that would
normally be found under temporary internet files, some of these date back to
2002.
I tried to delete this folder (the content.ie5 one) but it says it's a
system file (or folder).
Anyone have any idea what this folder is for or would deleting it cause a
problem, especially considering it's not visible unless you search for it.
It might be worth adding that it's also located under the temp folder, same
name, but not as large in size, again only found through a search.
The only reason I knew it was there is I saw the location of it during the
virus scan.
Sorry for off topic and confusing.
Thanks for any advance.
Cheers
Andrew
wondering how many people after reading this are currently going to the
find files or folders and searching for content.ie5

Old 22-11-2004, 10:56 AM
Bushy

Not much of a worry, even if it is a little "off topic".

A quick search for "content.ie5 on yahoo.com.au came back with these three
links among the first page of twenty links. They tell you a bit about it and
go into more detail than I'll bother with at this time of night when I
haven't had enough to drink!

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread...hreadid=197442
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/win98/r1060067519
http://www.textfiles.com/uploads/cleanup.txt

The third one is probably the easiest to read unless you are into heaps of
nerdspeak.

Hope this helps,
Peter

Old 22-11-2004, 03:15 PM
Loosecannon

"Andrew G" wrote in message
[...]

Hey Andrew,

After having some trash come through on both my pc and a relatives. I did a
bit of delving into fixes.

Most sites recommend yo delete the files in Windows/Temp and the temporary
internet folders but not to delete the folders themselves. Also the recycle
bin should be emptied.

After doing this I would go through your startup files and establish what is
essential and what is not. To get there do
Start-Programs-Accessories-System Tools-System Information. Click on
Tools then System Configuration Utility. Click on the Startup tab and
uncheck what is unnecessary.

Next I would download some software called "hijack this" it shows you what
things are running on your pc. I found lots of nasties and on removal had
better responses and was able to shut down my pc properly.

Anyway a start.

Cheers

Richard

Old 22-11-2004, 06:44 PM
len gardener

g'day andrew,

i haven't read the otehr response posts yet but will, i run win98os2
and i fing that cursed ie5 folder (even though i use ie6) under
temporary internet folders in the windows folder, i use this using
windows explore (the tree).

i used to only have only 4, ie5 sub folders but now have a dozen (got
a mind of its own) i delete the contents of these folders daily as i
do with the unawanted stuff in the temp internet folder (i keep
necessary cookies).

so i clean all that folder out before i do my virus scans or any
housekeeping.

why it is necessary for ms to have these files i don't know out of the
12 i have there is ever only stuff in about 3 of them i have tried
deleting the files one at a time with the warning about something may
not work properly, never causes problems but it just keeps re-adding
folder anyway sp what's the use?

hope there is some help for you

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

my e/mail addies have spam filters you should know what to delete before you send.
Old 22-11-2004, 09:33 PM
SG1

"Andrew G" wrote in message
[...]

The newsgroup aus.computers which len & I frequent will give you heaps of
answers on this topic.
My take on this is that you don't need all those .tmp files and the myriad
that live in Temporary internet files. so set the retention time to 0 days
and give it a flush every week.
Jim

Old 22-11-2004, 11:43 PM
Ivan

"Andrew G" wrote in
:

Hi Everyone,

SNIP discovery of a "hidden" file

Hi Andrew,

You'll find lots of information here -- http://sillydog.org/mshidden.html

It's truly amazing the stuff that M$ get up to on your computer!

HTH

Ivan.

Old 23-11-2004, 09:06 AM
Andrew G

Thanks everyone for the help. Again, sorry for the off topic.
7 years ago I completed a Level 3 Cert in IT then a level 4, then decided
outdoor gardening/greenkeeping was a more exciting trade for me, albeit at a
loss of pay.
I knew all the tricks of deleting unwanted files in temp, temp int files and
so on, and could usually pick the needed files, and even slipped into a
state of nerdiness (LOL) regularly fiddling, tweaking, reformatting and so
on, wasting much time :-)
Still this content.ie5 lost me. I mean how could a folder exist, even when I
had show all files (incl system/hidden files) chosen, but it still wasn't
visible. Only noting it in the new virus scanner I had? Beats me.
Like Len, I run IE6, Win98, never had IE5 etc.
What got me is even regular cleaning of temp int files, MS still has put
EVERYTHING since 2002 into stupidly named folders (e.g. avpdjh57dh) under
content.ie5.
Anyway, thanks again.
Cheers
Andrew

Old 24-11-2004, 10:54 AM
Harvey

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 21:00:03 +1100, Andrew G wrote:

[...]

One very easy solution to this problem its free, elegant and brilliant
call Linux, The Peoples OS

HTH
Old 25-11-2004, 10:01 PM
freebird

"Andrew G" wrote in message
[...]

I usually delete the individual folders within IE5. Make sure you regularly
run
disc clean up, it gets rid of some of it but seems to miss some as well.
I became aware of contentIE5 after watching the virus scanner spend ages
running through it.

barb

Old 27-11-2004, 09:23 PM
Registered User

Location: Brisbane, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey
[color=blue][i]

One very easy solution to this problem its free, elegant and brilliant
call Linux, The Peoples OS

HTH
hehehe thats cruel, dont rub it in peoples faces when they are using horrible OS lol. Actually I think if I had to go back to windows I would kill myself LMAO

Old 29-11-2004, 10:00 AM
Andrew G

Thanks to all that helped.
It turned out to be as simple as in Internet explorer, going to tools,
internet options, delete files, and then make sure you tick the box for all
offline content.
Well actually I cant recall if it deleted all the folders under ie5, but it
did get rid of the files, I may have manually done the rest.
And all that time I had been going into the temp internet folder and
deleteing them all.
Thanks again for all the help, and also for steering me to the right area.

Old 01-12-2004, 09:46 AM
Skydragon

Hello,

You can also help yourself by downloading spybot and adaware and also using
a free software like Grisoft anti-virus.

goto www.google.com.au to find their sites. I think the Telstra server has
the latest files in their system for u to download.

The first two help to remove the tracking and trojan files.

They're pretty good, not resource ram hungry, and are also free.