Old 27-11-2004, 08:19 AM
Registered User

Location: Brisbane, Australia
Default Grasshoppers attacking my beans

I was just watering my vegis and noticed that the beans had holes all through the leaves which wern't there yesterday, so I had a closer look and there were some tiny little grasshoppers on the leaves, I flicked them away (I know that wont stop them), but does anyone have any tips on keeping them away, I would prefer to try something natural before I start spraying them with chemicals seeing as we would be wanting to eat the beans, but if that is the only option then I guess chemicals will have to be the way to go...
Old 29-11-2004, 12:26 PM
Astounded

--
Witchy Mama

I have heard that dissolving a couple of tablespoons of molasses in a
watering
can and sprinkling or spraying on the leaves deters leaf eaters. Not too
sure if it
will work on grasshoppers but it won't cost much to try it. I have used it
with
reasonable success on caterpillars. You need to repeat after overhead
watering or rain.
Regards
Phil J.

---

Old 30-11-2004, 01:12 AM
Registered User

Location: Brisbane, Australia

Thanks, I am currently trying a spra of water with chilli in it, if that doesn't work then I will try your suggestion. I'm hoping it works though cause they have discovered the corn now and they seem to be liking it alot more then the beans

Grasshoppers attacking my beans Witchy Mama Australia 0 27-11-2004 08:19 AM
teeny-tiny grasshoppers... Brigitte J. Edible Gardening 4 09-06-2004 05:04 PM
grasshoppers Julie and Deb Australia 22 13-03-2004 11:40 PM
Weevils attacking beans Tellurian Australia 3 23-02-2004 12:36 AM
Grasshoppers & garlic butter John Hall Gardening 8 25-08-2003 02:02 AM