Old 29-11-2004, 04:26 AM
Aprill

Default Flouride in water (i.e. tanks)

HI all,

Given our recent tank talk I am curious about what people do about
flouride, if anything. I have seen the wonders of flouride in our urban
drinking water and I am wondering do any of you take any measures with
your rain water?

cheerio,
aprill
Old 29-11-2004, 04:56 AM
Rod Out back

"Aprill" wrote in message
u...
HI all,

Given our recent tank talk I am curious about what people do about
flouride, if anything. I have seen the wonders of flouride in our urban
drinking water and I am wondering do any of you take any measures with
your rain water?

cheerio,
aprill

We dont here, aside from filtering the water coming into the house, and
screening the inlets & overflows to the water tank to keep the frog guild
out(mostly...). I dont see much benefit in flouridation, really. Many
shires dont flouridate for various reasons and I would be more concerned
with how meticulous you would need to be to keep the levels in your tanks
within acceptible limits. Seems to me a potentially risky thing to do, with
marginal benefits.

I grew up on rainwater, and I have better teeth than many people I know who
were on flouridated water.

AND, I'd have to ask all the frogs about how they like their water being
flouridated...

Just my thoughts...

Cheers,

Rod.......Out Back

Old 29-11-2004, 05:46 AM
Terry Collins

Aprill wrote:

HI all,

Given our recent tank talk I am curious about what people do about
flouride, if anything. I have seen the wonders of flouride in our urban
drinking water and I am wondering do any of you take any measures with
your rain water?

None. Part of the reason for having rain water tanks is to avoid
flouride and other industrial pollutants they add to our town water.
Old 29-11-2004, 06:01 AM
David Hare-Scott

"Aprill" wrote in message
u...
: HI all,
:
: Given our recent tank talk I am curious about what people do about
: flouride, if anything. I have seen the wonders of flouride in our urban
: drinking water and I am wondering do any of you take any measures with
: your rain water?
:
: cheerio,
: aprill

What measures do you have in mind? Are you talking about adding
supplementary fluoride to rainwater or keeping the excess fluoride out of
it?

If the first I believe tablets are recommended. If the second you had
better move away from that smelter.

David

Old 29-11-2004, 06:18 AM
Aprill

David Hare-Scott wrote:
"Aprill" wrote in message
u...
: HI all,
:
: Given our recent tank talk I am curious about what people do about
: flouride, if anything. I have seen the wonders of flouride in our urban
: drinking water and I am wondering do any of you take any measures with
: your rain water?
:
: cheerio,
: aprill

What measures do you have in mind? Are you talking about adding
supplementary fluoride to rainwater or keeping the excess fluoride out of
it?

If the first I believe tablets are recommended. If the second you had
better move away from that smelter.

David

I mean the adding supplementary flouride somewhere.. perhaps flouridated
mouthwash would be a better idea. It's too late for me, my teeth are
terrible but would like to make sure Junior's stay good and healthy.

cheers,
aprill

Old 29-11-2004, 08:15 AM
len gardener

um dunno aprill?

fluride and wonders not what i jave heard, hey if you are in a good
clean air area why contaminate perfectly good fresh rain water with
anything?

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

my e/mail addies have spam filters you should know what to delete before you send.
Old 29-11-2004, 08:19 AM
len gardener

aprill,

i reckon good wholesome fresh food and mouth hygene will fill that
bill keep away from the junk food.

len

snipped

Old 30-11-2004, 12:20 AM
Geodyne

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 17:18:22 +1100, Aprill
wrote:

I mean the adding supplementary flouride somewhere.. perhaps flouridated
mouthwash would be a better idea. It's too late for me, my teeth are
terrible but would like to make sure Junior's stay good and healthy.

Flouride is a highly controversial topic. There are those who advocate
the flouridation of water, and there are scientific studies that show
that while the topical application of flouride is beneficial,
consuming flouride may actually be harmful to the health.

My $0.02 (which is probably worth what you're paying for it) would be
to enjoy the clean water if you're lucky enough to have a rainwater
tank and if you'd like to ensure your child has access to flouride,
buy flouridated toothpaste (most of them are). It seems that may be
more effective than fluridated water anyway.

Geodyne

Old 30-11-2004, 07:33 AM
Belinda

when we were on tankwater, I just to just buy fluoride drops to put in out
water.(my chemist had to order it in) It wasn't very much at all, but I was
mainly worried about my daughters growing teeth, she was only 1 then. If
you're not sure what amount to put in, call a few school dental clinics, or
speak to your chemist, they have leaflets on this kind of thing. good luck

"

Old 30-11-2004, 07:40 AM
David Hare-Scott

"Stuart Naylor" wrote in message :
: I don't have external tank water but wish to comment that in Melbourne
: to pour and drink a glass of the piped fluoridated water is awful. I buy
: a cheap no-name mineral water and keep a cold bottle in the fridge and
: only drink Melbourne water in tea & coffee etc.
:
: I provide my two dogs with three strategically placed plastic buckets of
: water [one of the three is usually out of the sun]. The dogs prefer not
: to drink from a freshly cleaned bucket filled with Melbourne tap water.
: --
:
: Rusty

Why do you think that the poor quality is due to the fluoride? It is only
added in trace amounts and is colourless, odourless and tasteless.

David

Old 30-11-2004, 07:55 AM
Aprill

Belinda wrote:
when we were on tankwater, I just to just buy fluoride drops to put in out
water.(my chemist had to order it in) It wasn't very much at all, but I was
mainly worried about my daughters growing teeth, she was only 1 then. If
you're not sure what amount to put in, call a few school dental clinics, or
speak to your chemist, they have leaflets on this kind of thing. good luck

"

ahh! thanks for the info. I knew I wasnt the only who would consider
such a thing.
My son will also be 1 soon hence my dwelling on the topic.

...aprill
Old 30-11-2004, 08:54 AM
len gardener

this fluride thing, i just don't understand the need i came through
childhood with good teeth it all came down to good wholesome
nutritious food, our grandkids don't get flouride their teeth are
great reckon this idea might be a smoke screen for missing dietry
factors oh and to make money for chemical companies.

that's my 2 cents worth

len

snipped

Old 30-11-2004, 11:03 AM
nyscof

Aprill wrote in message . au...
HI all,

Given our recent tank talk I am curious about what people do about
flouride, if anything. I have seen the wonders of flouride in our urban
drinking water and I am wondering do any of you take any measures with
your rain water?

cheerio,
aprill

Actually, researchers found little or no difference in decay rates
between Australian children who drink fluoridated tap water and those
who drink non-fluoridated tank or bottled water. Here's the story.

Fluoridation: No Benefit, Another Study Shows

New York -- August 2004 -- Dental examinations of 4800 South
Australian ten- to fifteen-year-olds' permanent teeth reveal
unexpected results - similar cavity rates whether they drink
fluoridated water or not, reports Armfield and Spencer in the August
2004 "Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology"(1).

Children sampled lived in fluoridated and nonfluoridated metropolitan
and rural areas of the Australian state, South Australia.

Collected rainwater, or tank water, is the main non-fluoridated
(non-public) water source for 37% of South Australians, 8% drink
bottled water. The public water supply is fluoridated in Adelaide,
South Australia's capital city. The rest of South Australia is
predominantly non-fluoridated, the authors report.

"The effect of consumption of nonpublic (non-fluoridated) water on
permanent caries (cavities) experience was not significant," report
Armfield and Spencer.

"It should be noted that, as discussed here, the drinking of bottled
or tank water is neither immediately deleterious nor beneficial to
oral health in and of itself," write the authors.

The American Dental Association asserts that fluoridation provides
15-35% cavity reductions in fourteen to seventeen-year-olds. But South
Australian adolescents averaged less than 1 ½ decayed, missing or
filled permanent tooth surfaces (28 teeth have 128 surfaces), whether
they drank fluoridated water or not.

Actually, many studies show, after fluoridation ceases, cavities
decline(2). Others reveal fluoridation is ineffective at reducing
tooth decay(3a-j).

The media recently used the Australian study to blame fluoride-free
bottled or tank water for increased cavity rates in primary or baby
teeth(4). However, no decay data was included for one- to
four-year-olds, the children with the most baby teeth. The studied
group (5100 five- to nine-year-olds) already shed primary teeth,
perhaps some decayed. This places doubt on the validity of the
conclusion that fluoridated water is linked to decreased primary-tooth
cavities in this population sample.

"Cities waste millions of dollars fluoridating their water supplies;
but the poor, malnourished or less educated still get the most
cavities and the least dental care," says lawyer Paul Beeber,
President, New York State Coalition Opposed to Fluoridation.

"Dental health crises exist in many, fluoridated cities(5); while
residents of non-fluoridated Wichita, Kansas and Long Island, NY, have
better dental health than many fluoridated areas(6)," says Beeber.

In fact, non-water-fluoridated Finland, Sweden and Holland have cut
tooth decay rates by 92%, 82% and 72% respectively over the past 20
years. (7)

In the US, where around 60% of the country's water supply, and
virtually all foods and beverages, is fluoridated, health chiefs only
managed to cut rates by 50% over the same period.(7)

1) Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology, August 2004 Consumption
of nonpublic water: implications for children's caries experience,
byArmfield JM, Spencer AJ.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q..._uids=15239780

2) "When Fluoridation Ends - So Do Cavities"
http://www.orgsites.com/ny/nyscof/_pgg6.php3

3a) Quintessence Internation, May 2002, "Dental caries and fluorosis
in low- and high-fluoride areas in Turkey. Ermis RB, Koray F, Akdeniz
BG. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

b) Journal of Rural Health, Summer 2003, "Oral health status of
children and adolescents by rural residence, United States." by
Clemencia M. Vargas, DDS, PhD; Cynthia R. Ronzio, PhD; and Kathy L.
Hayes, DMD, MPH http://www.nrharural.org/JRH/JRH19-3/rurh-19-03-260.pdf

c) http://www.enn.com/direct/display-re...3F2C0618E21B27

d) FLUORIDE 31(2), 1998, pp 103-118
http://www.fluoride-journal.com/98-31-2/312103.htm

e) http://www.fluoridealert.org/diesendorf.htm

f) http://www.slweb.org/glass-1981.html

g) http://www.slweb.org/gray-1987.html

h) http://www.fluoridealert.org/DMFTs.htm

i) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...t_uids=8402302

j) http://www.fluoridation.com/caries1.htm

4) http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...?oneclick=true

(5) Cavity Crises Exist in Fluoridated Cities
http://www.orgsites.com/ny/nyscof2/_pgg6.php3

(6) "Dentists Award the Cavity-prone and Toothless,"
http://www.enn.com/direct/display-re...B93DC906D7E56F

(7) How Other Countries Have Stopped the Rot; THE INTERNATIONAL
SOLUTION Evening Times; Glasgow (UK) Aug 19, 01:49 AM EST
http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk or
http://businesscontent.verizon.net/p...ory=Computers&

New York State Coalition Opposed to Fluoridation
http://www.orgsites.com/ny/nyscof
http://www.orgsites.com/ny/newyorkst...tofluoridation
http://www.freewebs.com/nyscof

Fluoride NewsTracker Blog
http://www.fluoridenews.blogspot.com

Fluoride Action Network
http://www.fluoridealert.org
Old 30-11-2004, 11:10 AM
Aprill

nyscof wrote:

Actually, researchers found little or no difference in decay rates
between Australian children who drink fluoridated tap water and those
who drink non-fluoridated tank or bottled water. Here's the story.

Interesting article. thankS!

...aprill
Old 01-12-2004, 02:11 AM
BCL

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 15:26:03 +1100, Aprill
wrote:

HI all,

Given our recent tank talk I am curious about what people do about
flouride, if anything. I have seen the wonders of flouride in our urban
drinking water and I am wondering do any of you take any measures with
your rain water?

I understand that fluoride only has benefits for children so adding
fluoride will make no difference to me - and fluoridation came far to
late for me anyway. But certainly if you have young children there is
no doubt fluoridation has had a beneficial effect on children's teeth,
god knows what they would be like otherwise with the amount of sugar
they consume these days.

Regards
Bruce