Old 06-12-2004, 09:35 PM
Mogsy

Default Propagate Viburnum Odoratissima

"ocular" wrote in message
news:MPG.1c1ed13bf488cb439896a5@news...
Have a hedge I planted two years ago from Viburnum Odoratissima plants
from a nursery. It has done well. Would like to start a hedge on a
different fence line. How difficult is it to establish some plants from
cuttings?

It can be difficult if you have no experience in the past, but depending on
the size of the plant you would want to put in the garden it is probably
cheaper just to buy them for a nursery, after you consider pots and soil and
the trouble of doing it, and the time it would take to grow from a cutting
to say an 8" pot or 12" pot size.

Mogsy

Old 07-12-2004, 08:27 AM
Mogsy

"ocular" wrote in message
Thanks Mogsy,

Sounds as though buying is the best bet. Just enquried incase it was
dead easy but that is not the case, I gather. Any sources to buy in
Brisbane.

cheers

Sadly i am on the northern beaches in sydney, at my local independent
nursery an 8" pot sells for around $15, and a 12' for around $45.

Old 07-12-2004, 12:01 PM
Chookie

In article , "Mogsy"
wrote:

"ocular" wrote in message
Have a hedge I planted two years ago from Viburnum Odoratissima plants
from a nursery. It has done well. Would like to start a hedge on a
different fence line. How difficult is it to establish some plants from
cuttings?

It can be difficult if you have no experience in the past, but depending on
the size of the plant you would want to put in the garden it is probably
cheaper just to buy them for a nursery, after you consider pots and soil and
the trouble of doing it, and the time it would take to grow from a cutting
to say an 8" pot or 12" pot size.

If there is a need for a huge number of them, try a wholesale nursery instead
of retail. I don't think they're uncommon plants.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Life is like a cigarette -- smoke it to the butt." -- Harvie Krumpet
Old 07-12-2004, 09:00 PM
Mogsy

"Chookie" wrote in message
In article , "Mogsy"
wrote:

"ocular" wrote in message
[...]

I'm sure wholesale nurseries are for people in the nursery/labndscape
business, not the general public.

Old 10-12-2004, 05:59 AM
Chookie

In article , "Mogsy"
wrote:

If there is a need for a huge number of them, try a wholesale nursery
insteadof retail. I don't think they're uncommon plants.

I'm sure wholesale nurseries are for people in the nursery/labndscape
business, not the general public.

Not necessarily -- I don't think the wholesalers discriminate, but they won't
want you to take away 2 plants -- 50 or 100, perhaps. If the need is for a
large number, it might be worth checking out minimum order sizes.

Old 14-12-2004, 10:24 AM
Robo

Give it a go ocular, you've got nothing to lose and Summer is the time to do
it. Apparently this species is good for layering as well. Propagation is
like cooking, follow the recipe to the T and expect a few failures.

The successes are very rewarding

Old 26-05-2008, 04:09 AM
Registered User

Smile

Hi!! I recieved a few cuttings from various plants today,one of them being a viburnum, and was trying to find ways of rooting them when I stumbled accross this forum and this thread. I read your question and thought someone had an answer other than to tell you to "go buy some". Well thats just no fun for someone like me who enjoys the challenge of trying to get free stuff! SOOO I searched and found a site that might be of use to you. I had to register here just so I could share it so I hope it's of some use to you. It has ways to root cuttings from all typs of flowering shrubs including viburnum. Here's the link http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/hil-8702.html.
Happy rooting
Sharon

Propagate Jasmine? O United Kingdom 4 08-07-2003 02:08 AM
Do hyacinths propagate? John Bachman Ponds 18 18-06-2003 03:44 PM
when do swords propagate? Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 8 20-04-2003 06:26 AM
when do swords propagate? Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 9 01-04-2003 05:56 PM
Evergreen Clematis Armandi - propagate? [email protected] Gardening 2 20-03-2003 02:08 PM