GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   'Pruning' Silver Birches ? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/88933-pruning-silver-birches.html)

bizzimummi 19-01-2005 11:38 PM

'Pruning' Silver Birches ?

Hello.

Recently I lopped the tops off my silver birches, to encourage a
shorter, bushier tree. They seem to be doing well, but my husband
says I was silly to do such a thing, that you don't 'do' that to
silver birches ?!?!

To let them grow tall and willowy was making them dangerous in high
winds to my house. I've tried some googling, but was wondering if
anyone in here has ever 'lopped the top' off a s. birch for similar
reasons with success ?

thanks :)

Chookie 23-01-2005 09:56 AM

In article ,
(bizzimummi) wrote:

Recently I lopped the tops off my silver birches, to encourage a
shorter, bushier tree. They seem to be doing well, but my husband
says I was silly to do such a thing, that you don't 'do' that to
silver birches ?!?!

The reason is that you have spoilt the shape. The beauty of the birch is the
trunk and the attractive habit.

If you cut the top out of a gum tree, you make the branches *less* safe
because the new growth (from the epicormic buds) is less securely attached
than the original branches. I don't know if the same is true of silver
birches.

To let them grow tall and willowy was making them dangerous in high
winds to my house.

Did you *assume* that, or did you consult an arborist? There is no particular
reason to believe that a healthy tree is unsafe -- unhealthy trees are another
matter.

I agree with your hubby. If you want to fiddle around with trees, get an
arborist.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Life is like a cigarette -- smoke it to the butt." -- Harvie Krumpet