Old 08-02-2005, 09:25 AM
Richard Sherratt

Default Can a leaning pittosporum be de-leaned?

We have a row of eight pittosporums next to the north fence in our
patio area. They are 1 metre apart. They have been in the ground for
about 4 years and have grown to about 4.5 metres tall. They are bushy
and dense after constant trimming.

We had some weather last week and one of the end pittosporums has
developed a lean. I think it's had it. The ground is soft and when I
pushed it upright the root area was only about 60cm across. It seems
that there are no deep or wide roots holding it upright.

Can it be staked and rescued or should I replace it?

--
Regards.
Richard.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:01 AM
len gardener

g'day richard,

normally i wuld agree that staking would help but then it sounds like
there is a drainage problem at that particular spot. no expert on
pittosporums but the ones i have want real good drainage, they like to
be watered but then they don't like feet too wet.

so mabe that one should go in prefference to a tree that would like
the conditions or when you plant the next one plant it higher in the
ground like is done with citrus when good drainage is needed.

also might need to be thinking of thinning out some of the canopy.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

my e/mail addies have spam filters you should know what to delete before you send.