GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Odd shaped Zucchini (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/90381-odd-shaped-zucchini.html)

Michael Beltrame 02-03-2005 11:20 AM

Odd shaped Zucchini

All Summer my zucchinis have been high yielding with extremely large flowers
and excellent foliage but a lot of the fruit have been Swollen and bulbous
near the stem and taper to a thin sickly point that is yellowish and rots
quickly. What is causing this?

David Hare-Scott 04-03-2005 09:52 PM

"Michael Beltrame" wrote in message
All Summer my zucchinis have been high yielding with extremely large

flowers
and excellent foliage but a lot of the fruit have been Swollen and bulbous
near the stem and taper to a thin sickly point that is yellowish and rots
quickly. What is causing this?

Sounds like blossom end rot, IIRC it is caused by hmmmm..... mineral
deficiency, maybe lack of Calcium. I don't have time to look it up right
now (google "blossom end rot") but if that is the case then gypsum will fix
it, or if the soil is also a bit too acid used garden lime instead.

David

John Savage 08-03-2005 11:47 PM

"Michael Beltrame" writes:
All Summer my zucchinis have been high yielding with extremely large flowers
and excellent foliage but a lot of the fruit have been Swollen and bulbous
near the stem and taper to a thin sickly point that is yellowish and rots
quickly. What is causing this?

Sounds like inadequate pollination. You can pick a male flower, strip off
the petals, and rub the stamen onto the centre of the female flowers to
do the job that the bees obviously aren't doing.

But remember, you can pick zucchinis the day after the flower opens, and
eat the tiny fruit. They are much tastier this way, and pollination is
then not needed. That's the way to go with zucchinis.