GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Wintergreen Couch Seed Heads (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/91001-wintergreen-couch-seed-heads.html)

Adrian 16-03-2005 10:42 AM

Wintergreen Couch Seed Heads

Our wintergreen couch lawn has been constantly producing sead heads
all summer. I have tried soil wetters, fertlising, extra watering,
weekly mowin; all with no success.

The lawn was established 18 months ago from roll-on turf. The first
summer it only produced sead heads for a few weeks. What can I do??

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Chookie 17-03-2005 10:50 AM

In article ,
Adrian wrote:

Our wintergreen couch lawn has been constantly producing sead heads
all summer. I have tried soil wetters, fertlising, extra watering,
weekly mowin; all with no success.

The lawn was established 18 months ago from roll-on turf. The first
summer it only produced sead heads for a few weeks. What can I do??

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Er, what's the problem?

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.

Adrian 17-03-2005 11:13 PM

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 21:50:22 +1100, Chookie
wrote:

Our wintergreen couch lawn has been constantly producing sead heads
all summer. I have tried soil wetters, fertlising, extra watering,
weekly mowin; all with no success.

Er, what's the problem?

The problem is the sead heads - they are itchy. According to the
supplier it should only sead for a few weeks each year, which is
exactly what it did last summer.

I have read elsewhere that they are a sign of stress - but can't work
what the lawn might be stressed about!

Andrew G 19-03-2005 12:04 AM

wrote:

Our wintergreen couch lawn has been constantly producing sead heads
all summer. I have tried soil wetters, fertlising, extra watering,
weekly mowin; all with no success.

Er, what's the problem?

The problem is the sead heads - they are itchy. According to the
supplier it should only sead for a few weeks each year, which is
exactly what it did last summer.

I have read elsewhere that they are a sign of stress - but can't work
what the lawn might be stressed about!

Hi
It may be itchy but there isn't anything you can do about it. One of the
Horticulturists at work seems to insist that any plant that is flowering
well (thus your lawn producing seed heads) is under stress, and I've heard
it elsewhere. The story being it's stressed, it may die, so it's trying to
reproduce. I have seen plants in poor condition, that won't flower, so my
argument is temperature, light/light periods, and water play more of a part
in flowering than stress.
My guess is the extended warm temperatures this summer are keeping it
producing seed heads. We have the odd azalea at work still flowering, they
aren't stressed and as healthy as the others. Your extra fertilising may be
a little high in potassium keeping it flowering for longer. If it is stress
then maybe too much water, esp considering you've added a wetting agent. But
i'd go with the temperature/extended season theory.
Our fairways at work were still seeding about a week ago. The couch I have
here in the backyard is slightly but in areas of shade it isn't anymore.
Bear with it, and hopefully next summer won't be as long.
Good luck

Nancy 19-03-2005 03:19 AM

wrote:

Our wintergreen couch lawn has been constantly producing sead heads
all summer. I have tried soil wetters, fertlising, extra watering,
weekly mowin; all with no success.

Er, what's the problem?

The problem is the sead heads - they are itchy. According to the
supplier it should only sead for a few weeks each year, which is
exactly what it did last summer.

I have read elsewhere that they are a sign of stress - but can't work
what the lawn might be stressed about!

Hmmmmmmm take it to a shrink and find out :)))

Seriously there is nothing wrong with your lawn.
I have a beautiful lush green couch lawn and it puts out seed heads every
week.
If you check out lots of parks and gardens with couch grass you will find
they all do the same.
I just keep mine mowed every week.
cheers
Nancy

Adrian 19-03-2005 04:04 AM

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 11:19:56 +0800, "Nancy"
wrote:

Thanks for the info - I will try a little less water and see how it
goes. Otherwise guess I'll have to live with it!!

Luke 21-03-2005 04:55 AM

I have the exact same grass and have the same problem as well, i have
actually found that the parts of the grass that get reasonable shade show
less signs of seeding and the grass is a lush green colour. I have now
decided to plant more trees in order to get more shade as the grass
certainly does better in shade although it was sold to me as being a full
sun grass. yeah right i would not recommend this grass to people after
having it in my yard for 3 years have seen plenty better lawns.

Adrian 21-03-2005 09:32 AM

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 15:25:26 +1030, "Luke"
wrote:

I have the exact same grass and have the same problem as well, i have
actually found that the parts of the grass that get reasonable shade show
less signs of seeding and the grass is a lush green colour. I have now
decided to plant more trees in order to get more shade as the grass
certainly does better in shade although it was sold to me as being a full
sun grass. yeah right i would not recommend this grass to people after
having it in my yard for 3 years have seen plenty better lawns.

I agree completely with regards to the shade: all parts of the grass
that receive mostly shade ar emuch greaner in summer, and don't
produce sead heads. Although these are the parts that get a bit
sparse in winter.