Old 12-04-2005, 02:41 PM
eurekaoz

Default Golden Cane Palms

Hi Folks!

I'm new here, so let me quickly introduce myself. I'm Chris and live in
Grafton NSW.

My question is this: I have three Golden Cane Palms planted along side my
front veranda (as well as three climbing roses and a hibiscus) and was
wondering (after a wind-up from the MIL god bless her...) that their roots
may affect my foundations and also that she swears that they have *runners*
and spread that way. Now for the record I have not ever heard about them
having runners but am most happy to be corrected on this. My main concern is
will their roots affect my veranda?

BTW: Hi Chookie! Nice to see someone from alt.aus.parents over here!

--
Chris

Dad of DS R(06-06-03)
Dad to be again on the 15th!

Old 12-04-2005, 08:24 PM
len gardener

g'day chris,

the golden canes will be ok around foundations up to about a meter
away this is mostly to give the cane development space. no they don't
spread by underground what you see is what you get they are a clumping
palm so they add to the growing crown. but have never heard of palms
of any sort getting involved in foundation damage.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

my e/mail addies have spam filters you should know what to delete before you send.
Old 13-04-2005, 06:33 PM
eurekaoz

Thanks Len!

That pretty much confirms what I thought. Just nice to know that someone
else agrees, and I appreciate the reply.

--
Chris

Dad of DS R(06-06-03)
Dad to be again on the 15th!

"len gardener" wrote in message
g'day chris,

the golden canes will be ok around foundations up to about a meter
away this is mostly to give the cane development space. no they don't
spread by underground what you see is what you get they are a clumping
palm so they add to the growing crown. but have never heard of palms
of any sort getting involved in foundation damage.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

"in the end ya' gotta do what ya' gotta do" but consider others and the

environment

Old 14-04-2005, 07:14 AM
Chookie

In article ,
"eurekaoz"
PER.CASE.LEAVE.EVERYTHING.E
LSE wrote:

My question is this: I have three Golden Cane Palms planted along side my
front veranda (as well as three climbing roses and a hibiscus) and was
wondering (after a wind-up from the MIL god bless her...) that their roots
may affect my foundations and also that she swears that they have *runners*
and spread that way. Now for the record I have not ever heard about them
having runners but am most happy to be corrected on this. My main concern is
will their roots affect my veranda?

I'm no expert, but I've never heard of any palm species having *runners*.
Some probably sucker from the base, though. My impression of palms generally
was that they had shallow, fibrous roots, which dont' seem likely to cause
damage. Is there a nursery nearby where you could check with a qualified
person?

BTW: Hi Chookie! Nice to see someone from alt.aus.parents over here!

And now from the new aus.family as well! Anyone with a family is welcome to
join in!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.
Old 14-04-2005, 05:52 PM
eurekaoz

snip

I'm no expert, but I've never heard of any palm species having *runners*.
Some probably sucker from the base, though. My impression of palms

generally
was that they had shallow, fibrous roots, which dont' seem likely to cause
damage. Is there a nursery nearby where you could check with a qualified
person?

Havn't always found local nurseries give good advice, tainted by their own
views like on the multigrafted 'fruit-salad' trees (can't get a local
nursery to get any- fortunately a local market has some who sells them).

BTW: Hi Chookie! Nice to see someone from alt.aus.parents over here!

And now from the new aus.family as well! Anyone with a family is welcome

join in!

Right after bl**dy BigPond NewServer picks it up! whine lop sided grin

snip

--
Chris

Dad of DS R(06-06-03)
Dad to be again on the 15th!

Old 14-05-2005, 11:06 AM
ant

eurekaoz wrote:
(after a wind-up from the MIL god bless
her...) that their roots may affect my foundations and also that she
swears that they have *runners* and spread that way.

Are you sure she didn't think it was Bamboo?!

Old 14-05-2005, 08:29 PM
len gardener

from qwaht i read it would definately appear they are not realy
referring to golden can palms they simply don't do that maybe confused
with bamboo as ant has suggested.

len

Old 15-05-2005, 06:15 PM
eurekaoz

Yeah I asked her if she was confusing it but she was adamant that it was
GCP. I have learnt not to argue with her when she is so 'certain' (in-law
diplomacy grin)

I was quite surprised by her statement also as I would never have planted it
if I thought it would run. I suspect the palms she had at her place that
'ran' may have been seeds from a palm germinating. or perhaps small bamboo
shoots that looked like small palms at the time they were destroyed.

Chris
--
Subsido ergo sum. I lurk therefore I am.

wrote:

eurekaoz wrote:
(after a wind-up from the MIL god bless
her...) that their roots may affect my foundations and also that she
swears that they have *runners* and spread that way.

Are you sure she didn't think it was Bamboo?!

--
happy gardening

"in the end ya' gotta do what ya' gotta do" but consider others and the

environment

my e/mail addies have spam filters you should know what to delete before

you send.

Golden Cane Palm - Separating Bertiesmum Australia 0 11-05-2006 01:35 AM
Pests on my Golden Cane Palm Brisbane QLD knll Australia 11 04-10-2004 09:11 AM
golden Cane Palms kyte Australia 5 06-10-2003 10:23 AM
best way to kill golden cane palm? rapdor Australia 2 20-04-2003 02:44 PM
Hardy Palms - long (was Trachycarpus Fortunei Palms) [email protected] United Kingdom 0 23-11-2002 05:15 AM