Old 18-05-2005, 08:25 AM
peter

Default tobacco question

Hi all

I'm a smoker. I would appreciate hearing if it is legal to grow tobacco for
self use.

Thanks

Peter

Old 18-05-2005, 09:24 AM
Norman

I don't know about the legality of it. I am a non smoker and grew a few
plants of tobacco just for fun and to see if I could make tobacco.
I never succeeded in making.anything that a smoker would smoke.You would
have to know the correct processes to make it successfully. I also read
somewhere that if its not processed correctly, you can poison yourself, so
be very careful and do your homework first

u...

Old 18-05-2005, 09:31 AM
peter

"Norman" wrote in message
I don't know about the legality of it. I am a non smoker and grew a few
plants of tobacco just for fun and to see if I could make tobacco.
I never succeeded in making.anything that a smoker would smoke.You would
have to know the correct processes to make it successfully. I also read
somewhere that if its not processed correctly, you can poison yourself, so
be very careful and do your homework first

Yeah, you're probably right. I'd better do the google thing.
Thanks Norman

Old 18-05-2005, 10:08 AM
Robby

Simple answer.....NO

Old 18-05-2005, 10:49 AM
peter

"Robby" wrote in message
Simple answer.....NO

True?? Oh well. I'll have to be descrete.
But the bigger problem might be that I might release some tobacco virus into
the environment. Is this true?

Old 18-05-2005, 11:50 AM
ant

peter wrote:

But the bigger problem might be that I might release some tobacco
virus into the environment. Is this true?

What a tragedy THAT would be!

Old 18-05-2005, 01:53 PM
Old Bugger

On Wed, 18 May 2005 19:50:02 +1000, "ant" wrote:

But the bigger problem might be that I might release some tobacco
virus into the environment. Is this true?

What a tragedy THAT would be!

The tobacco virus can spread to other plant species.

Old 18-05-2005, 02:33 PM
peter

"Old Bugger" wrote in message
On Wed, 18 May 2005 19:50:02 +1000, "ant" wrote:

But the bigger problem might be that I might release some tobacco
virus into the environment. Is this true?

What a tragedy THAT would be!

The tobacco virus can spread to other plant species.

How likely is it that if i planted a few plants, that it could effect other
plants? Or how do I tell if virus is happening? ??(google??)

Old 19-05-2005, 04:57 AM
Ivan

"peter" wrote in
u:

Hi all

I'm a smoker. I would appreciate hearing if it is legal to grow
tobacco for self use.

Thanks

Peter

Hi,

I considered the same option and discovered that seed is available in
Tasmania on a fairly regular basis and only rarely in other states.

I then spoke to dept agriculture and discovered that it is *not* an
importation problem (ie. agriculture in WA don't care if I bring in seed or
not!). I checked with customs who also didn't particularly care.

After going through every agency that I could think of I was convinced that
it would be legal. However ... the last dept that I spoke to suggested that
I might want to discuss the matter with the tax dept!

That's the "gotcha"!

It's illegal, under the excise laws, to grow tobacco for any purpose
whatsoever unless the proper permits have been applied for, granted and
paid for. *One of the many conditions* for granting a growing permit is
that you must operate a bonded warehouse. There are also regulations
concerning sale and supply even if it is to yourself.

On the upside, if you can get seed and grow it then it's unlikely that you
will be caught - not many people know what a tobacco plant looks like and
even fewer people would think of it as being illegal - even if they had
this suspicion and rang the police, the police would say, as they said to
me when I was making enquiries, "it's not a prohibited drug in this state,
who cares?"!

Having grown your tobacco you need to be sure to process it properly - it's
perfectly smokable just dried but, I am told, it is rough and takes a lot
of getting used to!

The way it is processed commercially is that the leaves are stacked in a
temperature and humidity controlled barn and turned regularly - I'm not
sure what the period between turning is. The idea is to let the leaf
ferment as it partially dries rather than letting it rot.

There are over 600 compounds approved for use for addition to tobacco so,
apart from the curing process, if you want to replicate the taste of your
favourite brand you could be in for a *lot* of experimentation (and some
difficulty in obtaining the various chemicals many of which require
transport under a hazardous load certificate!)

You will find plenty of information on curing tobacco through google

Good luck, I hope this helps

Ivan.

ps. If you have too much seed, don't forget your good friend
Old 19-05-2005, 04:59 AM
Ivan

"peter" wrote in
:

"Robby" wrote in message
Simple answer.....NO

True?? Oh well. I'll have to be descrete.
But the bigger problem might be that I might release some tobacco
virus into the environment. Is this true?

The biggest problem is tobacco mosaic virus and that is already *rampant*
throughout the world.

Be aware that any food gardeners near you will probably string you up
though because tobacco mosaic virus affects tomatoes badly and your
neighbours could easily lose their entire crops

Ivan.

Old 19-05-2005, 05:13 AM
Stephen Oakes

"Ivan" wrote...
ps. If you have too much seed, don't forget your good friend

Google?

??

;-)

--
Stephen Oakes

Old 19-05-2005, 07:43 AM
peter

"Ivan" wrote in message
[...]

Well. I did not expect so much info. Thanks heaps.
I live on a fairly isolated block, and no other houses for about a km. I
don't grow tomatoes. but I do grow heaps of other plants and vegies.
I'll google about how the virus might be a bad thing. There is a lot of
wild tobacco growing about other properties, ours is ok.
Like I said, it's for self use, so I'd like to get the curing part right.
I've got 1 seed pod that is about three years old. I tried a few plants a
couple of years ago and it grew strongly, like a weed.

Again, thanks Ivan, (& all).

Peter

Old 19-05-2005, 01:10 PM
joack

On Wed, 18 May 2005 17:24:49 +1000, Norman wrote:

I also read somewhere that if its not processed correctly, you can poison
yourself, so be very careful and do your homework first

What you don't poison yourself smoking anyway ?!!!
Old 19-05-2005, 03:19 PM
Rhonda Anderson

Ivan wrote in
:

"peter" wrote in
u:

Hi all

I'm a smoker. I would appreciate hearing if it is legal to grow
tobacco for self use.

Thanks

Peter

Hi,

I considered the same option and discovered that seed is available in
Tasmania on a fairly regular basis and only rarely in other states.

I then spoke to dept agriculture and discovered that it is *not* an
importation problem (ie. agriculture in WA don't care if I bring in
seed or not!). I checked with customs who also didn't particularly
care.

Customs might not care, but quarantine do. If you can get your tobacco
seed from Tassie, and WA aren't concerned with it in terms of state
quarantine, that's fine. However, if you want to bring in tobacco seed
from overseas, you'll need an import permit from AQIS. You'll find the
import conditions database at the following link, and if you type in
tobacco you'll find the import conditions for tobacco seed.

http://www.aqis.gov.au/icon32/asp/ex_querycontent.asp

Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia
Old 02-06-2005, 10:54 AM
China

Yes, as long as you tell them it is for horticultural purposes like
homemade insecticide.
Like home brew, you can grow it ,but you can not sell it. It is legal to buy
the seeds , so try these links.

http://www.greenpatchseeds.com.au/ ,

http://www.coffinails.com/curing_tobacco.html

http://www.jti.com/english/tobacco_c...es/curing.aspx