Old 16-06-2005, 12:55 PM
jpd1009

Default Recommended plants for underplanting standard roses

Hi,

i have a row of standard 'iceberg' roses that require some under-
planting.

I have looked at lavender and like the way it hedges up and the
standards appear above

However I am looking for other options.

The garden also contains a small copse of Betula pendula nearby.

I am in Melbourne VIC.

thanks in advance

jamesd

Old 17-06-2005, 01:13 PM
Dwayne

I cant help you with your request, but I have read that if you plant garlic
near your roses that they help each other. Apparently they both suffer from
bugs and diseases and putting the two together helps keep some of the
problems away. I put the garlic behind my row of roses and both seem to be
doing very well.

Dwayne

Old 17-06-2005, 02:00 PM
Chookie

In article ,
jpd1009 wrote:

i have a row of standard 'iceberg' roses that require some under-
planting.

I have looked at lavender and like the way it hedges up and the
standards appear above

However I am looking for other options.

The garden also contains a small copse of Betula pendula nearby.

Well, it would depend on your colour scheme, wouldn't it? All you are looking
for are perennials up to about 80cm, as far as we can tell. You could try
visiting the Digger's Club nursery (Heronswood, in Dromana) for some ideas.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.