Old 10-07-2005, 05:35 AM
Loretta

Default apple tree grafting

Hello, we bought a Golden Delicious apple tree yesterday and need to graft
another type of apple onto it to pollinate it, as we only have the one tree.
Is there some particular spot that we would make the graft? And how big a
piece would you suggest the new piece be please?

regards Loretta

Old 10-07-2005, 07:40 AM
blank

Loretta wrote:

Hello, we bought a Golden Delicious apple tree yesterday and need to
graft another type of apple onto it to pollinate it, as we only have
the one tree. Is there some particular spot that we would make the
graft? And how big a piece would you suggest the new piece be please?

regards Loretta

google is your friend just type grafting apple into your
search engine
and all will be revealed
Old 10-07-2005, 12:30 PM
Dwayne

Please check this out, but I was told that the Golden Delicious was one of
the few apple trees that didn't need another apple tree around to pollinate
it. My mom had one for years and it always had a lot of apples, more than
she could get rid of, and no one for blocks around had any fruit trees. Get
on the internet and type in "growing golden delicious apples" and see what
you come up with. I would open the responses you get from colleges.

Dwayne

Old 12-07-2005, 01:22 AM
John Savage

"Loretta" writes:
Hello, we bought a Golden Delicious apple tree yesterday and need to graft
another type of apple onto it to pollinate it, as we only have the one tree.
Is there some particular spot that we would make the graft? And how big a
piece would you suggest the new piece be please?

Could I suggest an alternative? If there is a gardener nearby with a few
apple trees, you might be able to borrow (i.e., beg) a flowering branch
from him at the time your tree is in bloom and sit it in a bottle of water
among the branches of your flowering tree. Otherwise, how can you be
sure that the piece you graft on will bloom at the same time as the rest
of your tree? Then in a couple of years time you could try grafting a piece
on when you'll have less to lose if the attempt is unsuccessful.

Old 12-07-2005, 01:37 AM
Loretta

Dear John
Thank you for your comments. There are no apple trees close by
unfortunately.
We really wanted to buy one with two types already grafted but we only found
Pink Lady / Granny Smith.
I have read on the tags of the trees in nurseries, that Granny Smith or
Jonathon is the most compatible, or a Red Delicious, with Golden Delicious.
My son works in a garden where they have a variety of apples, so we will be
able to try several other different ones also, to see what is successful.

Regards Loretta

"John Savage" wrote in message
om...

Old 12-07-2005, 01:42 AM
Loretta

Thank you for your comments Dwayne
I am new to apple tree growing and had read, they needed to cross pollinate.
I tried previously searching the Net to learn more but didn't come up with
much at all, but I will have another go.
I would love an apple tree like your Mum's.
Thanks again
Loretta

Old 12-07-2005, 04:41 AM
1

I had success budding in autumn when the bark peeled back easily. If you
have a new tree, it won't fruit properly for a couple of years anyway so it
gives you a bit of time. If you have some seedling apples growing, you can
graft to them.

Old 12-07-2005, 12:21 PM
Dwayne

One other possibility if you have the room, is to buy another tree (if you
have the room). I love the pink ladies you mentioned. Keep in mind what
you want to do with them. Red delicious are not much good for cooking or
canning, but are delicious for eating fresh. I have eaten golden delicious
fresh and canned them. They also make good applesauce. Granny smith are a
great cooking apple, but I don't care for them fresh, and I have to add too
much sugar when canning (I am diabetic). If you order a dwarf tree, it wont
take up much room and will still pollinate.

I tried to graft buds from my two pear trees on each other (3 or 4 buds on
each tree) and they all died. I did it when the new leaves were coming out
and plenty of sap was flowing. No one here knows how to do it anymore, so I
have no one locally to help me. The one person who told me cut a parallel
slit in the bark about an inch long. Then he cut two 1/2 inch slits
perpendicular to the first, one on each end of it. Then he carefully opened
each flap. Then he cut the bud off of a sucker growing on the tree he
wanted to graft to the original one, and cut it wide and long enough to fit
inside the flaps. Then he put the bud cutting inside the flaps, folded them
over and used some masking tape to hold it in place. His worked, mine died.
He lives about 400 miles from here, and I wont see him until Oct, when I
will ask him again.

Dwayne

Old 13-07-2005, 10:53 AM
Loretta

http://www.extension.umn.edu/topics....5&subtopic=152

The above is one site I found with good descriptions and several different
ways to graft. I have also just read you can plant two different type of
trees in the one hole, to save space, and have the benefit of them being
able to cross polinate each other.

regards Loretta

Old 14-07-2005, 12:15 PM
Dwayne

You can, but they would be competing with each other for water and minerals
from the earth. You would also reduce the amount of apples you would get.
We lived in a place for 18 years that had trees and shrub growing as borders
between us and the neighbors, that had been ignored for a lot of years
before we bought it. We went in and cleaned up and thinned out the mess one
year, and the next year we found that one of the trees was an apple tree.
Being planted that close to all the other stuff actually kept it from
blossoming and putting on apples.

All my apple tree planting instructions say to put dwarfs 10 to 15 feet
apart and regular trees 30 feet apart. I would look for another solution to
this rather than putting both in the same hole.

Dwayne

Old 26-07-2005, 01:24 AM
John Savage

"1" writes:
I had success budding in autumn when the bark peeled back easily. If you
have a new tree, it won't fruit properly for a couple of years anyway so it
gives you a bit of time. If you have some seedling apples growing, you can
graft to them.

There are techniques for grafting where the donor graft remains on its
parent until long after you have confirmed that the graft has taken. This
might be recommended for someone who is new to grafting. Buy a potted
young tree so you can sit the pot alongside the tree you want to graft to.