Old 08-03-2003, 05:56 AM
Willow

Default Grevillia Allergy

Hi

I have a couple of Grevillias in my front garden beds. Although I love the
plants, I seem to be allergic to them as I break out in itchy, dry rashes,
that feel a lot like a burn, whenever I touch them. I would like to dig them
out, but don't really want to have to deal with more rashes. Unfortunately I
don't know anyone nearby who could remove them for me & wearing clothing
covering my skin doesn't seem to help. Is there any easy way I can remove
them from out of my garden?

--
Wanda
aka Willow

~~faeries are able to fly because they take themselves lightly~

Old 08-03-2003, 07:00 AM
Wallaby

It's a pity that you are suffering from these. I too get a rash but I just
tolerate it, but then we all have different tolerance levels and intensities
of discomfort. Perhaps you could spray them with round-up and wait for them
to dry. Hoping this would reduce the 'live' active ingredients that bother
you; then toe them out with you car (if they are that big)
Cheers Pete

Old 08-03-2003, 09:26 PM
freebird

"Willow" wrote in message
[...]

could you put an ad in your local paper saying that you have
some lovely specimens to give away, provided any takers come
and dig them out? That way someone might be able to grow
them in their garden. Otherwise you would have to poison them
and wait till everything is withered.

Barb.

Old 09-03-2003, 12:10 AM
Andrew G

"Willow" wrote in message
Hi

I have a couple of Grevillias in my front garden beds. Although I love the
plants, I seem to be allergic to them as I break out in itchy, dry rashes,
that feel a lot like a burn, whenever I touch them. I would like to dig

them
out, but don't really want to have to deal with more rashes. Unfortunately

don't know anyone nearby who could remove them for me & wearing clothing
covering my skin doesn't seem to help. Is there any easy way I can remove
them from out of my garden?

--
Wanda
aka Willow

Hi Willow
Do you get the rash after feeling a slight spike from the plant, i.e.
Touching the tips of the leaf?
Or does touching the smooth part of the leaf give you the rash?

If it's the first then:
The typical type Grevillea such as banksii (with the long big flowers) has
very small spikes at the tips of it's leaves that if they break off in your
skin will develop a rash or even a pimple where each thorn is.
If it's that type don't kill it first before removing as the dead leaves
only seem to make it worse.
Others like rosmarinifolia(sp?) are much worse and will give anyone a rash.
Removing dead ones is much safer than green ones.
We had to remove many healthy rosmarinifolias last week.
What we did was wait 'till a rainy day, put on a raincoat and gloves and go
for it. Cut off all the branches from the base first, then dig the base out.
It's about the only effective way not to get spiked and rashes, unless you
can get someone else to do it.

Good luck

--
Remove "not" from start of email address to reply

Old 09-03-2003, 01:13 AM
Just a little bit

On Sat, 8 Mar 2003 13:45:37 +0800, "Willow"
wrote:

Hi

I have a couple of Grevillias in my front garden beds. Although I love the
plants, I seem to be allergic to them as I break out in itchy, dry rashes,
that feel a lot like a burn, whenever I touch them. I would like to dig them
out, but don't really want to have to deal with more rashes. Unfortunately I
don't know anyone nearby who could remove them for me & wearing clothing
covering my skin doesn't seem to help. Is there any easy way I can remove
them from out of my garden?

Many people suffer from an allergy to grevilleas.

Maybe you could cover them with plastic sheets then cut them off at the base.

Old 09-03-2003, 03:33 AM
Willow

Could be, although I thought it must have been the flowers causing the rash.
Admittedly if I ever do bump into the plant, it seems to be the flowers that
brush against my skin. I don't know what the subspecies is... It might be a
Robyn Gordon, but I'm not sure.

Old 09-03-2003, 08:09 AM
Wallaby

Forget about getting someone to transplant Grevilleas - its an
impossibility, as with most established Oz natives!.

Old 09-03-2003, 11:59 PM
Sue

I too suffer from a very severe allergy to grevillea, so badly that the
only thing that at one time I had to go to hospital because the rash had
gone all over my body and turned to septicaemia. (wrong spelling I am
sure). Anyway, I didn't want to get rid of all of them because I love the
birds that they attracted. My answer was to removed the ones that I was
likely to brush past - fortunately I had a very large garden. One thing I
did find over the years was that I could actually trim the Winpana Grevillea
and not be affected provided that the weather was cool and I wasn't
sweating!! I would always go and have a good shower after. Robyn Gordon
was another matter I would put on a long sleeved shirt and rubber gloves to
trim that one and I made sure it stayed at a low height so that I never had
to lean against it. Again when finished it was off to the shower and then
all of the clothes went straight to the wash.

It is unfortunately when you get an allergy like this especially if you
are an avid gardener who likes to do it yourself. Everyone told me to rip
the lot out but in the end I found that I had reached a solution that worked
for both the grevilleas and me!!

Another quick tip. I am definitely not a person that reaches straight
for the medicine chest but if you do start feeling like "they got you" an
antihistamine tablet could be the answer. Speak to your local chemist.

Good Luck.

Sue Karratha Western Australia

Old 12-03-2003, 12:12 AM
tristan

If you live in Perth I will pull them out for you, i am just a humble arts
student, but it sounds like fun. might cost youo $50 or so,

tristan

Old 13-03-2003, 04:32 AM
John Atkinson

"Wallaby" wrote ...

Forget about getting someone to transplant Grevilleas - its an
impossibility, as with most established Oz natives!.

Well, maybe. But someone will certainly answer her ad, come and dig them
up, take them away and replant them. If they later on die, so what? She's
got rid of them, which is what she wants.

John.