Old 12-03-2003, 08:47 PM
Rick DeBay

Default Bambusa Lako spacing

How far apart should I space the bambusa lako? I'd like it so that when they
are mature, they culms of adjacent plants start meeting around 12 to 13 feet.

Thanks, Rick

Old 11-04-2003, 09:44 AM
Rick DeBay

In article , Rick says...

How far apart should I space the bambusa lako? I'd like it so that when they
are mature, they culms of adjacent plants start meeting around 12 to 13 feet.

Thanks, Rick

Does anyone know? I asked the same question of TropicalBamboo.org, but they
haven't responded to my emails.

Old 11-04-2003, 06:20 PM
Chris

Rick DeBay wrote in message ...
In article , Rick says...

How far apart should I space the bambusa lako? I'd like it so that when they
are mature, they culms of adjacent plants start meeting around 12 to 13 feet.

Thanks, Rick

Does anyone know? I asked the same question of TropicalBamboo.org, but they
haven't responded to my emails.

I don't know that the plants would "meet" at any height no matter how
close you plant them. I belive Lako grows fairly straight. If
anybody would know, it would be Robert Saporito (tropicalbamboo.org).

Generally you plant them so that they will fill in a space in a given
time, if it happens to create a "canopy" effect it is just gravy :-)

You can plant them as close or as far as you want, the big difference
is how long it takes to fill the gaps. If you want it dense in one
area quickly, plant them 4 or 5 feet apart, if you can wait, plant
them 8 or 10 feet apart.

Good luck! I would love to be able to grow Lako, but alas it doesn't
like our low humidity :-)

Chris
Chino,CA
Old 11-04-2003, 08:32 PM
Rick DeBay

In article ,
says...

Rick DeBay wrote in message
In article , Rick says...

How far apart should I space the bambusa lako? I'd like it so that when they
are mature, they culms of adjacent plants start meeting around 12 to 13 feet.

Thanks, Rick

Does anyone know? I asked the same question of TropicalBamboo.org, but they
haven't responded to my emails.

I don't know that the plants would "meet" at any height no matter how
close you plant them. I belive Lako grows fairly straight. If
anybody would know, it would be Robert Saporito (tropicalbamboo.org).

The info at tropicalbamboo.com says it "grows erect and arches at the top" so I
was hoping that they would start to fan out so as to produce an open screen.

Generally you plant them so that they will fill in a space in a given
time, if it happens to create a "canopy" effect it is just gravy :-)

You can plant them as close or as far as you want, the big difference
is how long it takes to fill the gaps. If you want it dense in one
area quickly, plant them 4 or 5 feet apart, if you can wait, plant
them 8 or 10 feet apart.

Do you mean that even though Lako is a clumper, it will still spread? Will I be
able to control its spread easily by culling the culms as they come up?

Good luck! I would love to be able to grow Lako, but alas it doesn't
like our low humidity :-)

Chris
Chino,CA

Thanks for the quick reply. I wouldn't mind having some of your low humidity
here in south Florida, although today it's quite nice.

Rick DeBay
Boca Raton, FL

Old 12-04-2003, 01:32 AM
Chris

Rick DeBay wrote in message ...

The info at tropicalbamboo.com says it "grows erect and arches at the top" so I
was hoping that they would start to fan out so as to produce an open screen.

Well, when it reaches the limit of it's heights and starts putting on
a lot of leaves, they well arch over due to the excess weight of the
leaves. I've seen the Bambusa Oldhamii's in this area arch back a
full 7 or 8 feet, but not as artfully as I would like.

Do you mean that even though Lako is a clumper, it will still spread? Will I be
able to control its spread easily by culling the culms as they come up?

When I say they will spread, it is most likely no more than 2 feet a
year, depending on the size of the plant. It doesn't send runners
underground and pop up across the yard. You will be able to see the
limits of your plant from above.

My Phylostachys Bambusoides in it's first year in the ground has run
more than 15 feet and that was really only limited by the barrier I
had placed underground :-) Truth be told, if I had known it was going
to run that much in the first year I would have spaced them out a bit
more. I planted them 6 feet apart.

Thanks for the quick reply. I wouldn't mind having some of your low humidity
here in south Florida, although today it's quite nice.

It is a might humid here today.. but still not enough to support
plants like Lako... Some day I'll build my 40' high greenhouse :-)

Chris
Chino,CA

Old 01-02-2006, 11:17 PM
Registered User

Commercially, I beleive that it is planted in a grid with a spacing of between around 6m between adjacent plants. I guess that someone somewhere has done the calculations and this works out as the optimum distance to allow vehicle access for watering/mulching/fertilising/extraction of culms etc, and allowing for the plant to spread a little

Bamboo - bambusa old hamii Lindsay Australia 0 07-09-2005 02:07 PM
Bambusa Gibba itrox Bamboo 0 06-08-2004 12:37 AM
Newly planted bambusa lako Rick Debay Bamboo 2 28-02-2004 11:58 PM
Fotos from construction of Casa de Bambu de Bambusa Vulgaris (esterillas) Joao Paulo Paglione Bamboo 1 19-12-2003 06:29 PM
Bambusa Oldhami growth rate? Rus Sheptak Bamboo 3 18-11-2003 05:03 AM