GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Bamboo (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bamboo/)
-   -   Bamboo near a pond (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bamboo/108711-bamboo-near-pond.html)

Claire Burton 02-11-2005 04:24 PM

Bamboo near a pond

I've got a pond with a liner which bamboo will be best around it?

Travis 02-11-2005 07:44 PM

Bamboo near a pond

Claire Burton wrote:
I've got a pond with a liner which bamboo will be best around
it?

A ground cover bamboo or a clumper.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

richard mullens 03-11-2005 01:35 AM

Bamboo near a pond

Claire Burton wrote:
I've got a pond with a liner which bamboo will be best around it?

A running bamboo (like phyllostachys) will pierce the liner.

pjedmond 15-01-2006 07:14 PM

Go for a clumper - the ground cover(running bamboos) are much more likely to penetrate the pond liner!

For cold areas look at Fargesias, for the warmer areas, you may wish to look at the Dendrocalamus or Bambusas.