GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Bamboo (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bamboo/)
-   -   Hurricane damage (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bamboo/108775-hurricane-damage.html)

Rick DeBay 05-11-2005 02:39 AM

Hurricane damage

My Bambusa Lako was battered by hurricane Wilma. All the leafs are shredded and
brown, and three to four mature culms in every clump are bent in half.
Is there anything I should do to speed their recovery? How long until they're
back to normal?

Thanks, Rick DeBay

pjedmond 15-01-2006 07:12 PM

The old culms will be permanently damaged. (Remember that if you cut off the top off a culm, then it will never get any higher).

New culms as and when they grow will be fine! You should then trim the old damaged culms so that they look tidy, and apply a nice thick organic mulch to cheer your bamboo up. It should be fine in a few years time:)