Old 20-01-2006, 06:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo
RainLover

Default What's this about 1st year it SLEEPS?????? (Seattle, USA, Zone 8a)

Exactly one year ago this month a neighbor up the road let me 'rescue'
some bamboo that they were about to rip out with a back hoe... 16'
(4.8 m) tall Yellow Groove (1" to 2" (2.5 to 5 cm) in diameter)

The other day I was outside and noticed that I already have SHOOTING
occuring in a Black Bamboo grove (4 years old) and two shoots in a 1
year old grove of timber bamboo. Let me remind everyone... IT'S
JANUARY!!!!! I chalk it up to 12" (30 cm) of rain in the last 30 days
and warm temperatures in the 40's and 50's F (4 to 10 C).

.. . . . But I was utterly SHOCKED when I inspected my
YellowGrooveGrove (it's official name). I found 1" (2.5 cm) rhizomes
nearly 5 FEET (152 cm) from the root ball I planted!!!!! (but that's
only where I see it popping up and diving back DOWN; who knows where
it REALLY ends??!!!)

What does that handy rhyme refer to anyway?? You know the one:

The 1st year it sleeps,
The 2nd year it creeps,
The 3rd year it leaps.

In MY OPINION, running over 6 feet (183 cm) in 12 months is beyond
sleeping and creeping. I put in barrior, but I'm afraid... very
afraid. :-)

Okay.. I'm done with my faux rant (a brag in disguise is more like it)
hehe

James, Zone 8a, Port Orchard, Washington, USA, Earth
Old 24-01-2006, 02:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo
Tihomir

Well, lucky you.

I'm trying to grow bamboo for 5-6 years, and sometimes it seems to me that
it gets smaller and smaller every year.

Very sad.

Old 24-01-2006, 08:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo

Tihomir wrote:
Well, lucky you.

I'm trying to grow bamboo for 5-6 years, and sometimes it seems to me that
it gets smaller and smaller every year.

Very sad.

What are you growing and where are you doing it?

Chris
Chino, CA

Old 24-01-2006, 11:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo
JimR

wrote in message
oups.com...
Tihomir wrote:
Well, lucky you.

I'm trying to grow bamboo for 5-6 years, and sometimes it seems to me
that
it gets smaller and smaller every year.

Very sad.

What are you growing and where are you doing it?

Chris
Chino, CA

Tihomir -- in my experience, the only two reasons that bamboo might not grow

(1) Wrong climate and/or location for a specific variety, or

(2) Letting young plants dry out.

In fact, one of my "Life Rules" is, "Never bet against bamboo growing."
Regards --

Old 01-02-2006, 08:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo
RainLover

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 14:25:18 +0100, "Tihomir"
wrote:

Well, lucky you.

I'm trying to grow bamboo for 5-6 years, and sometimes it seems to me that
it gets smaller and smaller every year.

Very sad.

Where do you live? What sort of bamboo do you have? If it's doing
poorly, I'd suggest either amending the soil, watering it more, or
replanting it with a type of bamboo that thrives in YOUR area.

James, Port Orchard, Washington, zone8a, USA

.. .

Old 02-02-2006, 04:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo
terrib

Agreed. Rain makes everything shoot early. We even got an
inconventient shooting last fall as soon as the rains started.

Our Yellow Groove isn't shooting yet, but the Anceps and Square Bamboo
are. Definitely feels like spring is in the air.

Terri, Zone 7b, Cascade foothills, Washington, USA

Old 03-02-2006, 05:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo
RainLover

On 2 Feb 2006 07:21:54 -0800, "terrib" wrote:

Agreed. Rain makes everything shoot early. We even got an
inconventient shooting last fall as soon as the rains started.

Our Yellow Groove isn't shooting yet, but the Anceps and Square Bamboo
are. Definitely feels like spring is in the air.

Terri, Zone 7b, Cascade foothills, Washington, USA

Square Bamboo? Where are you located in the foothills? We're over
near the Olympics... Port Orchard, square bamboo sounds interesting.

James
Old 06-02-2006, 10:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo
Tihomir

Well yes, it's probably both.

We had some very cold winters in Croatia in the couple of last years, and
extremly dry summers too. Also I moved, so there was a lot transplanting,
waiting in pots and so. On the other hand I didn't have time to help my
bamboos go through it properly. I have Ph. aureosulcata, Ph. vivax, Ph
nigra, Pl. chino, Pl. linearis, Pl. fortunei, Pseudosasa japonica, Fargesia
muriele, F. robusta, F rufa... (fargesias had too much sun, too)

This winter I protected them from cold, and now I live next to them so I'll
be able to water them in the summer. My hopes for the upcoming spring are
high, need I say?

"JimR" wrote in message
ink.net...

wrote in message
oups.com...
Tihomir wrote:
Well, lucky you.

I'm trying to grow bamboo for 5-6 years, and sometimes it seems to me
that
it gets smaller and smaller every year.

Very sad.

What are you growing and where are you doing it?

Chris
Chino, CA

Tihomir -- in my experience, the only two reasons that bamboo might not
grow a