Old 21-03-2006, 08:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo
ABC

Default Moso bamboo

Greetings

I have 1 year old bamboo seedlings... they are growing very slowly! How long
it would take so they get big? In one year they got to 1mt :-(
Anyone knows?

Old 07-04-2006, 12:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo
B F Smith

Hello
From my experience with moso 1m per year is very good.

Remember the underground rhizomes are growing also.
Be sure to put the plnts in large enough containers so you don't crowd
the roots.

Old 07-04-2006, 07:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo
HumanJHawkins

B F Smith wrote:
From my experience with moso 1m per year is very good.

1m in the first year is impossible... anything more than about 15cm is
exceptional. I have a 2004 seedling that was professionally grown
(greenhouses and the best treatment). It currenly has 15 existing
shoots that are about 1.5mm in diameter and 30cm tall with lots of big
healthy leaves. Just 2 days ago I noticed 2 new shoots for this season
that are about 6mm around. I expect them to get to about 120cm tall if
I am lucky.

I'm sure I don't have the best Moso seedling in the world, but it is
very nice. I expect it to break the 1m barrier in a few weeks, which
will be after two full years of growth.

Anyway, the original poster should be very happy soon, as I suspect
he/she will get several nice new (to be taller) shoots any time now.

Old 07-04-2006, 08:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo
HumanJHawkins

ABC wrote:
Greetings

I have 1 year old bamboo seedlings... they are growing very slowly! How long
it would take so they get big?

I just realized that you might not understand how bamboo grows... It
doesn't grow like a tree that gets bigger gradually over time. Bamboo
builds up energy below ground and expends it all at once each spring,
putting up bigger shoots than the year before.

Those 1m tall shoots will never get any taller. But the plant will soak
up the sun with them in order to put up bigger taller shoots the
following year.

I think you are going to have a healthy sized plant in a couple of
years, with monster size being achieved a few years after that.

Good Luck!