GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Bamboo (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bamboo/)
-   -   bamboo in maine (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bamboo/141490-bamboo-maine.html)

roemax 24-03-2006 12:17 PM

bamboo in maine

what kind of clumping bamboo will grow in Maine?
site is somewhat shady

[email protected] 28-03-2006 06:31 AM

bamboo in maine

roemax wrote:
what kind of clumping bamboo will grow in Maine?
site is somewhat shady

Most likely none. Clumping bamboos are generally tropical and cannot
tolerate cold weather. I imagine in Maine you freeze and probably get
down around zero?

Probably the most likely candidate would be in the Fargesia family, but
I have doubts about survivability.

http://www.endangeredspecies.com/tex...ions/F/FNI.htm

Best of luck!

Chris
Chino, CA

Russell Sheptak 28-03-2006 09:10 PM

bamboo in maine

In article jrRUf.5866$8G2.1930@trndny01,
"roemax" wrote:

what kind of clumping bamboo will grow in Maine?
site is somewhat shady

We need more information. Where in Maine? What's your average annual
low temperature?

While many clumping bamboos are tropical, several will tolerate lows
down to about 15 -20 degrees. Colder than that and you're pretty much
limited to Fargesias.

I've read postings in this group from people who have successfully grown
clumping bamboo in colder temperatures by heavily mulching it in the
winter. The top dies off each year from freezing but it also shoots
every year.

rus