GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Bamboo (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bamboo/)
-   -   ID Help Please (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bamboo/14527-id-help-please.html)

plantsman 11-04-2003 04:08 AM

ID Help Please

How does one tell the difference between P. bambusoides and P. vivax. Most
photos and descriptions that I've seen appear almost identical. Anything in
particular that differentiates them apart? Thanks!

David

Chris 11-04-2003 05:20 PM

ID Help Please

"plantsman" wrote in message ...
How does one tell the difference between P. bambusoides and P. vivax. Most
photos and descriptions that I've seen appear almost identical. Anything in
particular that differentiates them apart? Thanks!

I've been trying to get that question answered for over a year.. good
luck!

What I have been told is that Vivax is faster growing and thinner
walled. If you ask me, Vivax is just a more aggressive version of
Bambusoides. I am no expert, but it seems as plausible to me as the
contradictory information I've gotten in the past. Some people feel
that there needs to be as many variants as possible (collectors,
taxonomists, nursery people, etc...)

So you should plant Bambusoides next to Vivax and the one that grows
faster is Vivax, then cut down the culms and measure the culm walls
with your micrometer, the thinner one is Vivax... but then you have no
bamboo left :-)

Good luck!

Chris
Chino,CA

TERRAV 12-04-2003 03:56 PM

ID Help Please

How does one tell the difference between P. bambusoides and P. vivax. Most
photos and descriptions that I've seen appear almost identical. Anything in
particular that differentiates them apart? Thanks!

David

David,

I've read somewhere that the easiest way to tell the difference is to look at
the tops of the culms. Phyllostachys bambusoides is supposed to have tips that
are very upright and P. vivax is supposed to have tips that are less upright
(they weep).

I believe the other reply which says the culm wall thickness is different is
also true but unless you have both and can compare them you don't have an easy
way to say which one you have.

Regards,

Bob Johannessen

Bob Johannnessen