Old 24-05-2006, 04:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo
Pierre Mancenillier

Default transplanting "large" bamboos.

A friend of mine is offering me to remove from his
garden a few rhizomes with their culms.

The species appear to Phyllostachis aureosulcata.

The culms are fairly "large" about 20 ft / 6 m high
and 1 inch / 2.5 cm in diameter, possibly a little more.

Of course for practical reasons I will have to trim these
culms somewhat before transplantation

Assuming that everything is OK (soil, sun, moisture,
mulch etc.) what size culms can I expect from these
rhizomes nest year?

We live in Southern New York State (Putnam Cty,
Lower Hudson Valley)

Under the best possible conditions locally this species
appears to reach 40 ft / 2 inch.

Old 24-05-2006, 10:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo
Samman

"Pierre Mancenillier" no.one@nowhere wrote in message
A friend of mine is offering me to remove from his
garden a few rhizomes with their culms.

The species appear to Phyllostachis aureosulcata.

The culms are fairly "large" about 20 ft / 6 m high
and 1 inch / 2.5 cm in diameter, possibly a little more.

Of course for practical reasons I will have to trim these
culms somewhat before transplantation

Assuming that everything is OK (soil, sun, moisture,
mulch etc.) what size culms can I expect from these
rhizomes nest year?

We live in Southern New York State (Putnam Cty,
Lower Hudson Valley)

Under the best possible conditions locally this species
appears to reach 40 ft / 2 inch.

I had transplanted a division of Phyllostachys aureosulcata last year that
was about five foot tall. The shoot size this year is only about a foot and
a half. I'd imagine you'd have the same results, proportionally.

Sam
--
- Mac killed my inner child -

Old 25-05-2006, 05:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo
HumanJHawkins

Pierre Mancenillier wrote:
A friend of mine is offering me to remove from his
garden a few rhizomes with their culms.

CUT
The culms are fairly "large" about 20 ft / 6 m high
and 1 inch / 2.5 cm in diameter, possibly a little more.

CUT
Assuming that everything is OK (soil, sun, moisture,
mulch etc.) what size culms can I expect from these
rhizomes nest year?

This depends entirely on how much rhyzome and intact root you are able
to preserve when you cut and dig them.

If you leave almost no root and rhyzome, it will likely die. In this
case, if it doesn't die, the plant can actually return to health and
leaf out, but never put up ANY culm again. (If all rhyzome buds are
removed, it can not generate new ones)

If you have only a 4 inch section of rhyzome, you might expect anywhere
from a spindly little shoot up to a 1/2 inch shoot that reaches 8 ft.
tall. It depends somewhat on luck, but also how much sun it can soak up
and recover this year.

If you manage to get 12 to 18 inches of rhyzome with a lot of root
growing off of it, you might very well get a much bigger culm next
year.

Also, you should try to trim the top in proportion to the amount of
root you get... If you are not able to get a lot of rhyzome and root,
then cut the culm shorter... If you get a lot of root, try to keep a
lot of the culm so it can have a lot of leaf mass to soak up sun over
the coming year. Then, next fall after it has it's new healthy culms
leafed out and producing, you can cut the original culm off entirely if
you think it looks ugly.

(Ideally, all trimming of culm for appearance should be done in late
fall, so the plant can get full use out of all of the leaves during the
summer months when they are most important.)

Cheers!

Old 26-05-2006, 03:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo
HumanJHawkins

Clarification: When I said "If you manage to get 12 to 18 inches of
rhyzome with a lot of root growing off of it, you might very well get a
much bigger culm next year": I mean't bigger than the half inch culm
max you will get with a smaller section of rhyzome... Not bigger than
the existing culm.

In any case, it would be awefully impressive if you got more than about
a 5/8th inch culm that might be 12 or 15 ft. high the year after a
transplant even with a large amount of root and rhyzome.

Cheers!

Bamboos for hedging MohammedM Bamboo 2 01-07-2009 06:38 PM
Getting prepped for Mass Plantings of Bamboos.. suggestions and advice??? RainLover Bamboo 6 11-03-2005 08:25 PM
Identify Unknown Houseplant and off to those bamboos Skirmishd Gardening 0 10-01-2004 11:02 AM
OT - Bamboos & Willows SamMan Bamboo 4 11-09-2003 01:02 PM
advice needed about moso, vivax and yellow groove bamboos Stephen Bamboo 0 18-04-2003 09:58 AM