Old 13-06-2006, 12:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo
Willy

Default Looking for some Bamboo Plants

Hello. I live in WV and am wanting some Bamboo to plant for a nature area in my yard.
Think of it as like Survivor area with a fire pit.
Could you tell me where I can get some that is hardy enough for our winters and is RESONALBLY priced?
Thank you.
Old 13-06-2006, 07:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo
Travis M.

"Willy" wrote in message

Hello. I live in WV and am wanting some Bamboo to plant for a
nature area in my yard.
Think of it as like Survivor area with a fire pit.
Could you tell me where I can get some that is hardy enough for
our
winters and is RESONALBLY priced? Thank you.

Go here http://www.americanbamboo.org/ and look under "Species
Source List" on the left.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 13-06-2006, 11:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo
Willy

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 05:01:08 GMT, "Travis M." wrote:

"Willy" wrote in message

Hello. I live in WV and am wanting some Bamboo to plant for a
nature area in my yard.
Think of it as like Survivor area with a fire pit.
Could you tell me where I can get some that is hardy enough for
our
winters and is RESONALBLY priced? Thank you.

Go here http://www.americanbamboo.org/ and look under "Species
Source List" on the left.

Thank you very much.
Old 13-06-2006, 05:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo
HumanJHawkins

Willy wrote:
Hello. I live in WV and am wanting some Bamboo to plant for a nature area in my yard.
Think of it as like Survivor area with a fire pit.
Could you tell me where I can get some that is hardy enough for our winters and is RESONALBLY priced?
Thank you.

You would be USDA zone 5 or 6 right? Unfortunately, you aren't going to
grow "Survivor" sized bamboo if this is the case. But you might get
close enough. Look more into these three (luckly all relatively
inexpensive) species:

Phyllostachys nigra 'Henon' : The most cold hardy of the big three
timber bamboos. But bordeline as to whether it will do well in zone 5
or 6. You'll have to read more about it to find out.

Phyllostachys atrovaginata : A little more cold hardy than henon, and
still impressively large if it does well.

Phyllostachys nuda: Maxes out at 1.5 inches around and 30 ft. tall.
This means you will be lucky to get 1 inch around and 20 ft. tall.
However, it is incredibly cold hardy and therefore should do well in
your climate... Perhaps quicker growth and it should get closer to it's
max size than the others will.

For more info on these species, look at any of the online nurseries...
bamboogarden.com, midatlanticbamboo.com, bamboosourcery.com, etc. You
can also write to these nurseries to tell them what you want and you
will usually get a good recommendation.

Good luck!

Old 13-06-2006, 06:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo
Willy

On 13 Jun 2006 08:41:36 -0700, "HumanJHawkins" wrote:

Willy wrote:
[...]

I want to thank you so much also. This is perfect for me and here is what I found:
http://www.bamboosourcery.com/result...TOKEN=28260313

Again.... thank you.