Old 22-04-2007, 12:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo

Default Bamboo Invasion

Hello all,

I have been happy with my bamboo growing along my fenceline to
screen away the apartment complex behind my house. This year,
however, the shoots are invading the lawn, more and more. In fact,
they are approaching the house. I may have to try to get rid of it
all. Will I have to have the yard scraped, as I have heard? When is
the best time to do so? Please advise!

Old 22-04-2007, 09:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo

"Artal" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello all,

I have been happy with my bamboo growing along my fenceline to
screen away the apartment complex behind my house. This year,
however, the shoots are invading the lawn, more and more. In fact,
they are approaching the house. I may have to try to get rid of it
all. Will I have to have the yard scraped, as I have heard? When is
the best time to do so? Please advise!

Just dig a trench as far away from the bamboo as you want it to spread
and cut the rizhomes where they cross the trench. When the bamboo comes
up in your lawn where you don't want it just mow them down. After
awhile the energy stored in the rizhomes will be depleted and you will
have pretty much stopped the spread.

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

Old 24-04-2007, 10:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo

What I do is:

-let unwanted clums grow until the autoumn. Those that are really in my way
I mow down, of course.
-dig a trench, or just cut with a spade around, to find escaping roots
-pull out those roots. They are usually not deeper then a few inches. It
hurts the lawn a bit, but I don't mind it.
-replant those roots with their clums where I want it, or in the pots, or
just throw it (but then you could mow it as soon as they appear as Travis
suggests).

Tihomir

Old 29-04-2007, 12:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo

"Travis M." wrote in message

> [...]

"Artal" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello all,

I have been happy with my bamboo growing along my fenceline to
screen away the apartment complex behind my house. This year,
however, the shoots are invading the lawn, more and more. In fact,
they are approaching the house. I may have to try to get rid of it
all. Will I have to have the yard scraped, as I have heard? When is
the best time to do so? Please advise!

Just dig a trench as far away from the bamboo as you want it to spread and
cut the rizhomes where they cross the trench. When the bamboo comes up in
your lawn where you don't want it just mow them down. After awhile the
energy stored in the rizhomes will be depleted and you will have pretty
much stopped the spread.

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

Thank you, Travis, for your suggestion. Travis is one of my favorite
names. I will try what you suggest.

Old 29-04-2007, 07:59 AM
Registered User

Location: Aquitaine, south west france
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artal View Post

"Artal" wrote in message
[...]

Morning from sunny Aquitaine.. Agree with travis. Easiest way to control the bamboo is just mow over the new shoots, they will eventually stop coming back. Alternatively, harvest when 10 - 15 cm long and use in a stir fry. Hope this helps

Screening fences after Bamboo invasion johngood ............. United Kingdom 6 23-07-2007 01:00 PM
Bamboo Invasion II Artal Bamboo 7 30-04-2007 05:41 PM
Centipede Invasion! Help! Anne Lurie North Carolina 4 20-06-2003 04:08 PM
juncus invasion Jahboy United Kingdom 4 26-04-2003 04:32 PM
fix for dying lawn and invasion of weeds? Lil Gardening 4 21-04-2003 06:32 PM