Old 26-04-2007, 01:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo

Default Bamboo Invasion II

Hello again,

I tried to post this question last week, but it never
appeared. What can I do to eradicate bamboo from my yard? It is
approaching my house. Do I have to have the yard scraped below the
sod?

Old 26-04-2007, 09:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo

"Artal" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello again,

I tried to post this question last week, but it never
appeared. What can I do to eradicate bamboo from my yard? It is
approaching my house. Do I have to have the yard scraped below the
sod?

No. Just cut down all the culms and kick over the new ones as they come
up. If you say where you are located someone
might take some of it off your hands.

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

Old 26-04-2007, 10:24 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artal View Post
Hello again,

I tried to post this question last week, but it never
appeared. What can I do to eradicate bamboo from my yard? It is
approaching my house. Do I have to have the yard scraped below the
sod?
It has been discussed, for example here
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/showthread.php?t=92465
Old 27-04-2007, 01:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo

On Apr 26, 2:43 am, "Travis M." wrote:
"Artal" wrote in message

oups.com...

Hello again,

I tried to post this question last week, but it never
appeared. What can I do to eradicate bamboo from my yard? It is
approaching my house. Do I have to have the yard scraped below the
sod?

No. Just cut down all the culms and kick over the new ones as they come
up. If you say where you are located someone
might take some of it off your hands.

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

Oh, in Mississippi. I am afraid that it will get under my house and
ruin the foundation. It is too bad, but I am thinking that I will
have to have it all eradicated this year. I wish it had stayed in
its zone.

Old 27-04-2007, 09:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo

oups.com...
"Artal" wrote in message

oups.com...

Hello again,

I tried to post this question last week, but it never
appeared. What can I do to eradicate bamboo from my yard? It is
approaching my house. Do I have to have the yard scraped below the
sod?

No. Just cut down all the culms and kick over the new ones as they
come
up. If you say where you are located someone
might take some of it off your hands.

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

Oh, in Mississippi. I am afraid that it will get under my house and
ruin the foundation. It is too bad, but I am thinking that I will
have to have it all eradicated this year. I wish it had stayed in
its zone.

Bamboo doesn't have zones.

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

Old 29-04-2007, 12:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo

On Apr 27, 2:26 am, "Travis M." wrote:
"Artal" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Apr 26, 2:43 am, "Travis M." wrote:
"Artal" wrote in message

groups.com...

Hello again,

I tried to post this question last week, but it never
appeared. What can I do to eradicate bamboo from my yard? It is
approaching my house. Do I have to have the yard scraped below the
sod?

No. Just cut down all the culms and kick over the new ones as they
come
up. If you say where you are located someone
might take some of it off your hands.

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

Oh, in Mississippi. I am afraid that it will get under my house and
ruin the foundation. It is too bad, but I am thinking that I will
have to have it all eradicated this year. I wish it had stayed in
its zone.

Bamboo doesn't have zones.

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

I did not mean that scientifically. It just stayed near the fence for
years, until this spring. That was what I considered its zone. If
you know anyone who wants to cut it down and haul it away, have them
email me.

Old 29-04-2007, 10:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo

"Artal" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Apr 27, 2:26 am, "Travis M." wrote:
"Artal" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Apr 26, 2:43 am, "Travis M."
wrote:
"Artal" wrote in message

[...]

Would you like to say where you are? People can't email you unless you
give them your email address and it is not
a good idea to post you real email address in newsgroups. Spammer bots
harvest addresses.

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

Old 30-04-2007, 05:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo
Registered User

On Apr 26, 4:40 pm, Artal wrote:
On Apr 26, 2:43 am, "Travis M." wrote:

"Artal" wrote in message
CUTWhat can I do to eradicate bamboo from my yard? It is
approaching my house. Do I have to have the yard scraped below the
sod?

"Artal" wrote in message

CUTI am afraid that it will get under my house and
ruin the foundation. It is too bad, but I am thinking that I will
have to have it all eradicated this year. I wish it had stayed in
its zone

I don't think bamboo will ruin your foundation unless you have a
poorly constructed (i.e. unfilled cinderblocks stacked on dirt)
foundation. Bamboo has been known to break out of unreinforced
concrete through existing cracks. But it won't hurt reinforced
concrete.

But I'm guessing you want to get rid of it anyway... If you want to
keep the plant, but stop the spreading, See these solutions:
http://www.wikihow.com/Control-the-Spread-of-Bamboo

Or, if you just want to get rid of it completely:
1) Try to contact your local chapter of the Amreican Bamboo Society
( http://www.americanbamboo.org/ ) and see if they can refer you to
anyone who will dig it all up and take it away. It will help if you
know what variety it is, as some varieties are worth doing this for
sale, and others are not.

2) Get out there with a sawzall and a couple of metal cutting
blades. (Metal cutting will dull slower when cutting in the dirt below
ground level). Cut off all of the existing culms. Then wait about 2
months and do it again when all of the replacement shoots are at
mostly full height. (Letting them grow to full height lets the plant
spend more of it's stored energy, resulting in fewer times that you
have to do this.) Then do it again in every 2 months until nothing
comes back. It will get much easier every time you have to repeat
this... You should check it in the spring to make sure it didn't just
ride the winter out underground.

3) Or, repeat a couple of applications of roundup over the summer.
Spray the leaves in the morning of a good hot day and wait a few
weeks... Cut away the dead culms (Sawzall reccommended for this too).
Repeat as needed (though I don't think you will need to repeat too
often.

Screening fences after Bamboo invasion johngood ............. United Kingdom 6 23-07-2007 01:00 PM
Bamboo Invasion Artal Bamboo 4 29-04-2007 07:59 AM
Centipede Invasion! Help! Anne Lurie North Carolina 4 20-06-2003 04:08 PM
juncus invasion Jahboy United Kingdom 4 26-04-2003 04:32 PM
fix for dying lawn and invasion of weeds? Lil Gardening 4 21-04-2003 06:32 PM