Old 08-07-2007, 03:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo

Default anyone home?

I've been growing several bamboos for the last three years...is anyone
still reading this NG? I'd like to discuss propagation techniques,
etc.

g.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo

Hi Jim!

I found this NG over the weekend and read a lot of the posts...they
seem to have tapered off a lot this year.

I just purchased a Moso last week to add in the backyard.
My Blue Fountain has been blooming for the last few months, and I've
gotten some seed...they sit in damp sand at this moment.

I've mostly been propagating from runners, I've even a few six to
eight inch new culms I've dug up with the runners and they seem to be
progressing fine(no stunting from the transplant yet). These are
mostly off my Japonica.

I've a Nihira that does not seem to want to run. Have you ever tried
plastic film wrapped around damp peat-moss at the branch nodes of
culms? I've read about the technique and may try it today to get some
starts from that plant.

I'm in zone 8b. How are your growing conditions?

g.

On Sun, 8 Jul 2007 17:02:40 +0200, "Jim" wrote:

Well I pop in know and then...I'm trying to get moso bamboo to grow from
seed :S

.. .

Old 08-07-2007, 07:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo

I haven't seen a Rufa yet, I'll have to look up some pictures.
My Japonica is about eight feet tall and I'm hoping it not going to
bloom; I'm taking starts from it this year. I've read in a few places
that Japonics can bloom and continue to thrive...I hope this is the
case!

Is your Florida plant yellow with green stripes or green with yellow
stripes? I've a Spectabilis(yellow with green stripes) that is about
twenty feet tall...it also has random bends in about one-third of the
new culms.

g.

On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 11:14:18 -0600, DG wrote:

gnarl wrote:

Hi Jim!

I found this NG over the weekend and read a lot of the posts...they
seem to have tapered off a lot this year.

I just purchased a Moso last week to add in the backyard.
My Blue Fountain has been blooming for the last few months, and I've
gotten some seed...they sit in damp sand at this moment.

I've mostly been propagating from runners, I've even a few six to
eight inch new culms I've dug up with the runners and they seem to be
progressing fine(no stunting from the transplant yet). These are
mostly off my Japonica.

I've a Nihira that does not seem to want to run. Have you ever tried
plastic film wrapped around damp peat-moss at the branch nodes of
culms? I've read about the technique and may try it today to get some
starts from that plant.

I'm in zone 8b. How are your growing conditions?

I'm in Zone 5, high in the Rockies. Have some Fargesia Rufa in a
container which I just bought. Container Pseudosas Japonica Arrrow
that is currently shotting. It comes in during the harsh winter.
Started out at 18 inches last year and the shoots are over 30 inches
now.

Down in South FL, I have a few plants as well. Chinese walking stick
that just went in the ground and is starting to shoot. There is
another one but I'm sure my friend knows what it is. Grows to about
thirty feet and has yellow/green vertical striations.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo

I have to admit I'm not that proficient with bamboo...I moved from the UK to
Italy and have only just started to buy them. The UK prices are stupidly
high but the prices here are very reasonable.
I bought some Moso seeds a month or so ago and have been trying different
methods to show some life.
The best method so far has been moist tissue in a tupperware box. That gave
me about 30%...a few seeds reached 2" but they all failed when put into a
fine soil. So I will try something else next time.

I think I'm in a zone 9 region, though with temperatures we've been having
lately I think it more a 10.

Old 09-07-2007, 12:58 AM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo

On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 14:43:53 -0600, DG wrote:

gnarl wrote:

I haven't seen a Rufa yet, I'll have to look up some pictures.

http://www.bamboogarden.com/Fargesia%20sp.%20'Rufa'.htm

Very pretty! I like the reddish tones...
I have a Fargesia Robusta that is doing well; I have not tried
propagating a clumper yet but am developing stratagies.

http://www.bamboocraft.net/bamboo/sh...00&ppuser=2450

My Japonica is about eight feet tall and I'm hoping it not going to
bloom; I'm taking starts from it this year. I've read in a few places
that Japonics can bloom and continue to thrive...I hope this is the
case!

What Japonica is blooming?

Mark Mecks owns this group, someone gave him a flowering Japonica:

http://www.bamboocraft.net/bamboo/sh...php?photo=4052

How are you taking starts?

I find a culm a little way away from the parent plant, dig down until
I find the connecting rhizome, cut through it with pruners or a
sawzall, then dig around it 6 to eight inches...from there it goes to
pot. A lot of leaves need be removed usually to compensate for the
impaired water uptake. Mature culms are recomended, but I'm working on
a way to transplant culms before they branch.
Here are some photos of the basic method I used on our Simonii:

http://www.bamboocraft.net/forums/sh...hlight=simonii

Is your Florida plant yellow with green stripes or green with yellow
stripes? I've a Spectabilis(yellow with green stripes) that is about
twenty feet tall...it also has random bends in about one-third of the
new culms.

If I recall correctly, it's a bambusa. Not sure if it is a
dolichomerithalla 'Silverstripe' or a vulgaris. It has long
internodes.

I don't know that species...I'll have a look this evening...

g.

Old 09-07-2007, 01:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo

On Sun, 8 Jul 2007 22:51:22 +0200, "Jim" wrote:

I have to admit I'm not that proficient with bamboo...I moved from the UK to
Italy and have only just started to buy them. The UK prices are stupidly
high but the prices here are very reasonable.
I bought some Moso seeds a month or so ago and have been trying different
methods to show some life.
The best method so far has been moist tissue in a tupperware box. That gave
me about 30%...a few seeds reached 2" but they all failed when put into a
fine soil. So I will try something else next time.

I think I'm in a zone 9 region, though with temperatures we've been having
lately I think it more a 10.

So far nothing from my nitida seeds, a local grower in Chimicum has
had all his nitida bloom and had no luck whatsoever with seed
germination.

http://www.bambu-u.com/

g.

.. .