Old 05-10-2007, 06:45 PM
Registered User

Talking Can bamboo be watered during frosts?

Hello I'm new to this forum and would like some advice on how to care for my bamboo throughout the winter period.

We bought three different types of bamboo this spring, they have flourished and although two of the biggest will need re-potting next spring, all is well with them.

As we have never cared for them over a winter before, we are a little worried about watering them when there has been a frost.

Any advice on how to keep them alive a well will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Bamboozled
Old 08-10-2007, 01:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo

Default Can bamboo be watered during frosts?

--
Bamboozled

Dig hole, plunge pots to the rim, add several inches of mulch,
shredded fall leaves work nicely. Water as needed until the ground is
frozen.
Left above ground in pots will subject the roots and rhizomes to
temperatures far lower than if they were in the ground and may kill
them.

Old 08-10-2007, 01:58 PM
Registered User

Thank you for your replies.

The bamboos are too big to bring in doors and can not be planted either, is it possible to wrap the pots in some thing to help protect against frost?

Bamboozled
Old 08-10-2007, 06:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo

On Oct 8, 7:58 am, Bamboozled
wrote:
Thank you for your replies.

The bamboos are too big to bring in doors and can not be planted
either, is it possible to wrap the pots in some thing to help protect
against frost?

Bamboozled

--
Bamboozled

No
They will need the warmth that comes from the ground to successfully
overwinter in zone 6 you can leave them in the pots but you have to
sink the pots into the ground and mulch them. Or buy replacements in
the spring.
If you cant dig perhaps you can pile up soil around them and then
mulch heavily?

under watered Golden Bamboo problem biomike Bamboo 2 03-05-2010 05:51 PM
[OT] Return after a while to find chaos! On topic - frosts and tomatoes. David W.E. Roberts United Kingdom 11 26-09-2007 02:23 PM
My mulberry tree got hit by the frosts Kathryn Vickers Australia 2 13-10-2006 12:58 AM
Frosts John Edgar United Kingdom 15 24-09-2003 11:12 PM
"First Frosts" Jayne United Kingdom 20 16-05-2003 09:44 AM