Old 19-03-2008, 04:12 PM
Registered User

Default Bamboo is flowering !!

I've read a few threads about flowering Bamboos, but maybe somebody may be able to enlighten me some more....I'm afraid I do not know what this particular type is called, but it is in a corner of our garden, in some shade under an apple tree, I have had it for 7 years in that time it has grown from about 2 feet tall to just over 6 foot...I have added 3 photos of it taken today...hopefully somebody will tell me what the ebst course of action would be....many, many thanks in advance...

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/k...8/DSC00496.jpg

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/k...8/DSC00497.jpg
Old 19-03-2008, 04:55 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42man View Post
I've read a few threads about flowering Bamboos, but maybe somebody may be able to enlighten me some more....I'm afraid I do not know what this particular type is called, but it is in a corner of our garden, in some shade under an apple tree, I have had it for 7 years in that time it has grown from about 2 feet tall to just over 6 foot...I have added 3 photos of it taken today...hopefully somebody will tell me what the ebst course of action would be....many, many thanks in advance...
Seems to be Fargesia nitida, like everyone else's.

It will probably die. So what's best - well what do you want? Quickest way to get a new mature plant is to buy a new one. Post-flowering F nitida is readily available, and make sure it is that you buy. Else there are lots of other lovely Fargesias.

Otherwise, you can collect the seed (has to be well-timed, it will fall off when ready, and the birds love it, so you probably need to wrap some heads after they are pollinated) and grow it. But that is slow, and what grows back is a bit random in terms of form. You may get some adventitious seedlings anyway. They do sometimes appear to survive, reverting to juvenile form, but this may be misinterpretation of adventitious seedlings.
Old 19-03-2008, 06:55 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinosum View Post
Seems to be Fargesia nitida, like everyone else's.

It will probably die. So what's best - well what do you want? Quickest way to get a new mature plant is to buy a new one. Post-flowering F nitida is readily available, and make sure it is that you buy. Else there are lots of other lovely Fargesias.

Otherwise, you can collect the seed (has to be well-timed, it will fall off when ready, and the birds love it, so you probably need to wrap some heads after they are pollinated) and grow it. But that is slow, and what grows back is a bit random in terms of form. You may get some adventitious seedlings anyway. They do sometimes appear to survive, reverting to juvenile form, but this may be misinterpretation of adventitious seedlings.
That is wonderful, thank you very much for your help....I will try and collect the seeds.

Flowering Bamboo in the UK ? Mr Whippy Bamboo 6 24-04-2006 10:52 PM
bamboo flowering Janet Tweedy United Kingdom 4 21-04-2006 11:00 PM
bamboo flowering Zoe Bamboo 1 30-03-2005 09:28 PM
Flowering Bamboo Question RainLover Bamboo 2 04-11-2004 04:26 PM
Flowering Bamboo Question RainLover Bamboo 0 02-11-2004 04:34 PM