Old 22-04-2008, 01:35 PM
Registered User

Default Advice please to save bamboos

I've got a beatiful bunch of bamboos (2.5m tall) replanted to my garden 6 months ago. It had grown nicely for years in my old and new gardens until recently. The leaves suddenly started to turn yellow one month ago, and now half of them became yellow. It is obviously dying. I am desperately trying to save them. Is there anyone who can help? Is it possible that it is affected by neighbours' plants or weedkiller? Many thanks for any advice.
Old 24-04-2008, 09:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo

--
wang

Weed killer will make for grotesque new shoots (culms) with curled and
mis-shapen parts.
To give any advice that is usable your location the type of bamboo the
exposure to the sun and such is needed, have you seen any indication
that this bamboo is flowering?
Old culms will die after about 6 years or so that is natural. Are the
culms that are healthy entirely heathy and the ones yellow entirely
yellow?
Old 28-04-2008, 01:25 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by wang View Post
I've got a beatiful bunch of bamboos (2.5m tall) replanted to my garden 6 months ago. It had grown nicely for years in my old and new gardens until recently. The leaves suddenly started to turn yellow one month ago, and now half of them became yellow. It is obviously dying. I am desperately trying to save them. Is there anyone who can help? Is it possible that it is affected by neighbours' plants or weedkiller? Many thanks for any advice.
If you moved it, you lost/damaged a lot of the small filamentous roots, even some of the fat rhizomes. The roots can no longer support all of the above ground plant. Ideally you should have removed some of the culms, or trim some of them to a lower height, removing perhaps half of the above ground material, when you moved it. Other people on this forum have suggested a partial deleafing the culms. I don't know if it is too late. But it sounds like it is now doing this for you. It will take some time for it to regrow as splendid as it was before.

If it is Fargesia nitida, it could be flowering and dying as said before.

Tell us how you get on in a few months time.

Bamboos for hedging MohammedM Bamboo 2 01-07-2009 07:38 PM
Need advice! Bamboos are dying Organic Brigita Bamboo 5 04-08-2008 03:25 PM
Getting prepped for Mass Plantings of Bamboos.. suggestions and advice??? RainLover Bamboo 6 11-03-2005 09:25 PM
OT - Bamboos & Willows SamMan Bamboo 4 11-09-2003 02:02 PM
advice needed about moso, vivax and yellow groove bamboos Stephen Bamboo 0 18-04-2003 10:58 AM