Old 26-04-2003, 12:20 AM
StormCrow

Default Advice needed

I have ordered several PHYLLOSTACHYS NIGRA (Black Bamboo) plants and
I would like to keep them in containers.

What sort of soil do they prefer do they like damp or dry conditions
any tips on keeping these healthy appreciated.

I've got another Bamboo in a container (can't recollect its name just
now) it is about 6ft tall and seemed to be doing well until a couple
of weeks ago when its leaves suddenly turned brown. It looks as though
it is dead, no sign of new shoots at all, it is not pot bound as I
have checked that. Sometimes in the mornings the leaves seem to have a
little bit of green in them but then that fades away during the day.
Any ideas as to what could have caused this is it worth keeping ie
will it send out new shoots from its base?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
Old 26-04-2003, 01:08 PM
jrbuk

I guess from your e-mail address that you are in UK. I had a similar
experience earlier this year in those dry, breezy conditions we had in late
winter/early spring.

I had re-potted a Phyllostachys nigra and a Phyllostachys aureosulcata
spectabilis into really large, unglazed, porous pots (bought from Morrisons)
in general purpose compost. That was mistake number 1. The second was to
leave them in a draughty position. It only took a couple of weeks for them
begin to show signs of distress! I couldn't believe how dry the compost was
becoming due to water loss from the porous pot, despite my attention.
Coupled with the cooling effect that the evaporation of water from the
surface of the pots must have been having, the soil must have been quite
inhospitable. Fortunately I recognised what was happening and moved them
into the cool greenhouse and they are recovering well. So I wouldn't give
up on your plant. Water the whole plant well and keep it out of draughts.
I had a Phyllostachys bissettii which looked a bit similar this time last
year and it revived OK.

If you do get some nigra and want to keep them in pots then I would suggest
that you don't use unglazed, porous pot. That should be reserved for wine
coolers!...or at least reserved for a greenhouse where there is little air
movement. I would use a soil based compost too, like John Innes.

Old 26-04-2003, 06:20 PM
StormCrow

On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 13:05:27 +0100, "jrbuk" wrote:

[...]

"StormCrow" wrote in message
. ..
I have ordered several PHYLLOSTACHYS NIGRA (Black Bamboo) plants and
I would like to keep them in containers.

What sort of soil do they prefer do they like damp or dry conditions
any tips on keeping these healthy appreciated.

I've got another Bamboo in a container (can't recollect its name just
now) it is about 6ft tall and seemed to be doing well until a couple
of weeks ago when its leaves suddenly turned brown. It looks as though
it is dead, no sign of new shoots at all, it is not pot bound as I
have checked that. Sometimes in the mornings the leaves seem to have a
little bit of green in them but then that fades away during the day.
Any ideas as to what could have caused this is it worth keeping ie
will it send out new shoots from its base?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Hi

Yes your correct I'm in the UK, sorry should have mentioned that I'm
in Northumberland actually.

Thanks for the advice regarding my bamboo. I have actually put 4
images on the following site if anyone would like to have a look and
offer some advice as to what to do with it.

Images are up to 100k in size so please allow time for them to load if
you are using a 56k modem

http://www.geocities.com/stormcrowuk/bamboo1.htm

The winter up here has been very mild this year so I don't think it is
the frost that caused it to look so bad, the bamboo is situated in an
area that is surrounded by 6ft walls so it is fairly well sheltered
from strong winds.

The Bamboo is Phyllostachys aureosulcata "Spectabilis"

Thanks for any advice.

Old 09-05-2003, 12:56 AM
mullens

StormCrow wrote:

[...]

"StormCrow" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I'd water it and spray it with water. I'd also bury the pot in the ground
to a depth of several inches and hope that it recovers.

advice needed for spring cleaning ande Ponds 4 22-05-2003 07:44 AM
Grapefruit tree advice needed David Shalita Edible Gardening 0 01-05-2003 04:08 AM
Plant Newbie Advice Needed Frank Mamone Freshwater Aquaria Plants 10 27-02-2003 01:53 PM
Expert advice needed Theo Bonsai 1 25-02-2003 04:15 PM
Punica :Expert advice needed Theo Bonsai 0 24-02-2003 08:00 PM