Old 27-09-2008, 02:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo

Default timber bamboo in the yard?

I ran across a picture of a house with timber bamboo growing in the yard and
started thinking it was a cool idea - like scattered trees. I was wondering
if I could get a giant bamboo running under the lawn and just knock off
unwanted culms while keeping the ones that I do want?

I've got a bamboosoides that I naively put in a small patch of ground along
one fence and it's obviously not got enough room to spread. One of the
shoots came up out of the ground and I was able to redirect it but a big
section just lays on top. I'm worried that the soil is too hard and dense.
I'm keeping a couple inches of grass clippings on top for mulch but worry
the roots will just try to stay on top of the dirt. At any rate it doesn't
really have anywhere to go unless it is able to travel under the dirt a few
inches, get under the fence and travel the flower beds.

Now If I can plant it in my lawn and it will stay under the top mat of grass
except where the culms pop up that would be great. How good is bamboo at
sending runners out in hard soil?

Kyle J.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo

"Kyle J." wrote in

I ran across a picture of a house with timber bamboo growing in the yard
and started thinking it was a cool idea - like scattered trees. I was
wondering if I could get a giant bamboo running under the lawn and just
knock off unwanted culms while keeping the ones that I do want?

I've got a bambusoides that I naively put in a small patch of ground along
one fence and it's obviously not got enough room to spread. One of the
shoots came up out of the ground and I was able to redirect it but a big
section just lays on top. I'm worried that the soil is too hard and
dense. I'm keeping a couple inches of grass clippings on top for mulch
but worry the roots will just try to stay on top of the dirt. At any rate
it doesn't really have anywhere to go unless it is able to travel under
the dirt a few inches, get under the fence and travel the flower beds.

Now If I can plant it in my lawn and it will stay under the top mat of
grass except where the culms pop up that would be great. How good is
bamboo at sending runners out in hard soil?

Kyle J.

What kind of timber bamboo?
Where are you living?
How tall is it at the moment?
How long ago did you plant it?

I am not an expert. :-(
I am just curious about people's experience with timber bamboo.

Old 17-10-2008, 01:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo

"Charles Manoras" wrote in message
. ..

"Kyle J." wrote in

[...]

I planted Giant Timber Bamboo which I got from Kanapaha Botanical Garden in
Gainesville, FL in 2001. It is a clumping type and has done remarkably
well. It has stayed in the clump and now provides an effectdive windbreak
on the north side of the house, a "wind chime" effect during modest to heavy
winds, and shelter for a LOT of birds, primarily cardinals and blue jays. I
also naturalized a few orchids (mostly vanda terrete) at the edge of the
bamboo, but the clump grew around them and they've pretty much disappeared
into the middle of the bamboo. It has grown to the extent that it is now
time for me to start harvesting a few pieces, escept that I don't yet have
any time for projects which mighjt use this stock.