GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Bamboo (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bamboo/)
-   -   Looking for clumping bamboo in central Ohio (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bamboo/185947-looking-clumping-bamboo-central-ohio.html)

Donald[_2_] 23-07-2009 05:51 PM

Looking for clumping bamboo in central Ohio

Is there anyone here within driving distance of south central Ohio who
might be willing to part with a small rhizome or plant of a clumping
type of bamboo, preferably one hardy to at least zone 5 (we're between
5b and 6a) and that will grow to over 10 feet tall (taller up to 20
feet plus is OK)?

Chezelwig 24-07-2009 01:09 PM

On 2009-07-23 11:51:56 -0500, Donald said:

Is there anyone here within driving distance of south central Ohio who
might be willing to part with a small rhizome or plant of a clumping
type of bamboo, preferably one hardy to at least zone 5 (we're between
5b and 6a) and that will grow to over 10 feet tall (taller up to 20
feet plus is OK)?

I would be happy with just the species name of such a beast. The
internet lists a nursery a few miles east of Florence Y'all (local joke
- the town, not the nursery).

OT
A mall wis being built in Florence KY, just across the river from
Cincinnati and the water tower was built first. On it was painted
"Flornece Mall". Because you can't advertise somethong that is not
there, it was changed to "Flornce Y'all". By the time the mall was
built, the name on the water tower had entered local folklore and it
had become a landmark.
--

Forewarned is four armed

Tars Tarkas

Donald[_2_] 27-07-2009 12:49 AM

Looking for clumping bamboo in central Ohio

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 07:09:07 -0500, Chezelwig
wrote:

I would be happy with just the species name of such a beast. The
internet lists a nursery a few miles east of Florence Y'all (local joke
- the town, not the nursery).

I'm in south Central Ohio. Florence, KY, is not all that far from here
(about 2+ hours drive).

Fargesia Robusta looks like it might work. It is good for sun/shade.

Could you post a link to the nursery, or perhaps more information? I
would be willing to travel that far to save money on shipping costs
and to get it in good condition.

Thanks!!!

echinosum 28-07-2009 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donald[_2_] (Post 858191)
I'm in south Central Ohio. Florence, KY, is not all that far from here
(about 2+ hours drive).

Fargesia Robusta looks like it might work. It is good for sun/shade.

That's certainly true if you were growing it in Nova Scotia, but it is rather less true in central Ohio. That's why Fargesias are not easy to source in the interior of the USA - they don't like your warm summers there.

So if you do find some, probably try to give it a bit of shade, and keep it well watered in the summer.