Old 28-04-2003, 02:20 AM
Flint Matthews

Default Novice rhizome barrierquestion

I recently transplanted some running bamboo to an area in my yard with
the intent of developing a screen. To keep it under control, I rented a
trencher, and dug a 2-3 ft. deep trench 4" wide around the perimeter of my
screen area. I placed "commercial" (that's what it said at Home Depot) weed
block, which appears to be a fiberglass composite type material, in the
ground vertically the full depth of the trench leaving ample excess above
ground and folded outwards and secured to the ground. The trench was then
back filled with gravel (crusher run) instead of the original dirt. I felt
secure that I would be able to contain my runners until reading somewhere
online recently that someone had a problem with rhizomes piercing pond
liners. I realize the weed block might not be as effective as the rhizome
barriers I've seen on several sites, but was wondering if anyone had any
thoughts or experience on using heavy duty weed block as a rhizome barrier.
I did leave myself an ample buffer zone around my perimeter in case I had to
do some revision later.

If I do have to do some revision to my barrier, I do think I will have
a little time. Each transplant has at least one new healthy culm shooting
skyward, and they will probably really jump in this Georgia heat, but I
probably will have at least a year or two before rhizomes make it to the
perimeter.

Thanks in advance for any advice, FM

Old 28-04-2003, 02:44 PM
Beecrofter

If I do have to do some revision to my barrier, I do think I will have
a little time. Each transplant has at least one new healthy culm shooting
skyward, and they will probably really jump in this Georgia heat, but I
probably will have at least a year or two before rhizomes make it to the
perimeter.

Thanks in advance for any advice, FM

By year 3 in your area in decent soil and rainfall expect the rhizomes
to run a distance equal to culm height.

45-60 mil barrier is what you need weedblock isn't going to do it.
Old 28-04-2003, 03:32 PM
Chris

"Flint Matthews" wrote in message ...
[...]

Usually any type of fiberglass has a weave that is exposed, even if it
is minute. It is possible that the rhizome could find a weak spot and
exploit it. I believe that rhizome barriers are smooth so that the
rhizome will "slip" off of it into another direction. I look forward
to your "Field Test" results :-) Gravel works well as a bottom, I
don't know about the sides.

It is good to have a bottom barrier as well, Kyoshi Yoshida has done
many experiments with many types of barriers including Lexan and has
many successes in getting failures. See below for an account of his
trials with traditional underground barriers.

The following was taken from www.endangeredspecies.com

"Kioshi Yoshida tried an experiment in 1989 with below-grade barriers
& Vivax. He planted 4 areas about 48" in diameter, one with an 18"
deep barrier, one with a 24" deep barrier, one with a 36" deep
barrier, one with a 48" deep barrier. The very first year after
planting the Vivax came up outside the 18" barrier, the rhizomes
having easily gone below 18". After two years the rhizomes went
under & came up beyond the 24" barrier. The 36" deep & 48" deep
barriers continued to contain the plant until spring of 1993, at
which time Kioshi sold his nursery & the plants were bull-dozed to
the ground. "

The more recent experiments with Lexan were printed in the ABS
newsletter, I don't have it handy, but I seem to recall failure was
discussed :-)

My barrier for my P. Bambusoides is 3" concrete with 4" of gravel on
the bottom. It is overkill, more of a bunker, but I don't see eye to
eye with the neighbor on THAT side of the fence :-)

If I do have to do some revision to my barrier, I do think I will have
a little time. Each transplant has at least one new healthy culm shooting
skyward, and they will probably really jump in this Georgia heat, but I
probably will have at least a year or two before rhizomes make it to the
perimeter.

Just so you know, my little 6' tall P. Bambusoides plant ran 15 feet
this year, I don't know how much space you left, but I would fairly
regularly check for escapees at least in the direction of your
neighbors.
Once again, I look forward to seeing results of your experiments!

Chris