GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Bamboo (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bamboo/)
-   -   germinating moso seeds (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bamboo/188151-germinating-moso-seeds.html)

scp 11-11-2009 12:40 AM

germinating moso seeds

What would be the best procedure to germinate moso seeds?
Can I do it now in the northeast USA?
Can I use Miracle-Gro Cactus soil?

--
scp

echinosum 12-11-2009 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scp (Post 869147)
What would be the best procedure to germinate moso seeds?
Can I do it now in the northeast USA?
Can I use Miracle-Gro Cactus soil?

--
scp

Here's a nice description of how to do it.
http://www.gator-ventures.com/bamboo...ermination.htm
But wait until spring, because if they experience low light conditions as a seedling after germination, they'll rot. Else use growlights and keep them warm through the winter.

Once established, reputedly hardy to -18C (0 F)

For more discussion, there's practically a forum branch dedicated to flowering and growing bamboo from seed here.
http://www.bamboocraft.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92

scp 12-11-2009 11:48 PM

germinating moso seeds

Here's a nice description of how to do it. http://tinyurl.com/yktey3g
But wait until spring, because if they experience low light conditions
as a seedling after germination, they'll rot. Else use growlights and
keep them warm through the winter.

Thanks.
I followed their directions last time.
Quite successfully at 50%.
But I killed all ten of them
when I tried to transplant them to bigger pots.
The last one while transplanting again two weeks ago!

Once established, reputedly hardy to -18C (0 F)

How about the water bamboo?
I have several plants in two five-gallon pots.
Several more in the garden, transplanted over a month ago.

For more discussion, there's practically a forum branch dedicated to
flowering and growing bamboo from seed here. http://tinyurl.com/ybpqfx6

Thanks again.
Any tips on transplanting sprouts?
My mistake appears to be using the regular top soil!

--
scp

scp 01-12-2009 03:21 AM

germinating moso seeds

scp;869147 Wrote:
What would be the best procedure to germinate moso seeds? Can I do it
now in the northeast USA? Can I use Miracle-Gro Cactus soil?

--
scp

Here's a nice description of how to do it. http://tinyurl.com/yktey3g
But wait until spring, because if they experience low light conditions
as a seedling after germination, they'll rot. Else use growlights and
keep them warm through the winter.

What would be the minimal grow light setup?

--
scp