Old 29-04-2003, 12:32 AM
Contractor Resource

Default HELP..Invaded by Neighbor's Bamboo

My next door neighbor's bamboo "forest" is invading my yard!! Any
suggestions on how I can prevent (or at least manage) the problem?

Old 29-04-2003, 07:32 AM
Chris

"Contractor Resource" wrote in message y.com...
My next door neighbor's bamboo "forest" is invading my yard!! Any
suggestions on how I can prevent (or at least manage) the problem?

If this is in a grassy area, you can mow the new shoots down as they
come in. They are soft and can be easily cut down. If it isn't you
can go out with shears and just nip them off as close to the ground as
you can get. They generally only shoot once a year in the spring
time. Occasionally you get secondary shoots later in the summer.

You can also visit your neighbor and discuss the ways that you will
allow him/her to install a barrier so you don't HAVE to enjoy their
bamboo so up close and personal :-/

To install a barrier, dig a ditch at least 30" deep along the length
of your shared property line and place a 30-60 mil rhizome barrier
leaving about 4 inches above ground. Put the dirt back in and kill
any new shoots that pop up. If you keep this up, you will cause the
surviving rhizomes to exaust their energy.

If it is a desireable bamboo, you might be able to get people to come
take it from you :-)

I would talk to the neighbor first, ask them to fix it. If they say
no, ask again, and then if still no, threaten with legal action. I
have some very aggressive running bamboo's in my yard, safely behind
barriers, I'm sorry your neighbor isn't very thoughtful with their
bamboo.

Here is the ABS party line-
http://www.americanbamboo.org/Genera...ingBamboo.html

Good luck!

Chris
Chino,CA
Old 06-05-2003, 05:32 AM
Djubaya

You could think of it as a great opportunity to...

1) Get better acquainted with your neighbor and both of you address the
issue together

2) Eat bamboo shoots every spring and summer... every shoot that begins to
break ground as soon as possible dig down to where it connects to the
rhizome and cut it off. Boil it up and add some sesame oil (my favorite) Umm
Umm good

3) Start your own bamboo forest... but put in a 24" deep solid 60 mil
plastic rhizome barrier where you want it to stop!!!

Good luck,

Djubaya

Old 23-11-2004, 10:53 PM
Registered User

Location: Tennessee, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contractor Resource
My next door neighbor's bamboo "forest" is invading my yard!! Any
suggestions on how I can prevent (or at least manage) the problem?

Consider it a free money pot. Find out what type of bamboo it is, then put yourself a rhizome barrier around the area, and dig smaller plants and put them in plastic pots. Then wait till the rhizome fills the pot and sell it.

Bees invaded my little outdoor frog habitat (how to get rid of bees) Judy Zappacosta Lawns 12 05-11-2010 12:23 PM
Anywhere else been invaded by sycamore pods? Bob H United Kingdom 5 20-05-2008 11:28 PM
Cosmos invaded! KellyD United Kingdom 8 12-07-2005 08:52 AM
Horrors! Gardens invaded by worms and snakes! earl Gardening 0 30-07-2004 05:44 PM
Rocky Mtn. Area invaded by cutworms??? jhultman Gardening 1 20-05-2003 09:20 PM