Old 17-07-2010, 05:24 PM
Registered User

Unhappy Is my Bamboo dying?

Hello there, new to the forum, so please be patient with me. I have a slight problem. A friend of mine had some bamboo down the back of his garden, he no longer required it so asked if i'd like to have it. As it looks so beautiful and elegant i couldn't refuse, it seemed such a waste. It stands about 6-9 feet tall and is very thin and wispy. At about the 6 foot mark it starts to weep and lean over, something i like very much about it, it's mesmerising as it swirls around in the breeze. Two questions i have to ask.

First of all, what type is it?. I've looked about on the internet and i seem to think it may be yin yang bamboo, please correct me if i'm wrong.

Secondly, i removed the bamboo from the ground ( which was quite rocky and dry ) and transferred it in my van to my house, where it was instantly planted in the ground. I filled the void with compost and fertilizer and bedded them in. I have also supported the canes for the time being until they settle in. They are not restricted in any way. I have noticed now that the leaves are starting to turn a yellowy brown, bearing in my mind that they were pure green when i removed them from the garden.

This colour change has occured over a period of 3 days and i am getting slighty worried. Is this normal?. Is the bamboo dying?. I would be really grateful for any advice regarding this matter as i do not wish to dispose of the bamboo as it looks beautiful at the front of our house.

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time out to respond and offer any advice. P.S. i have uploaded a photo to help.

[IMG=http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/9697/17072010036.jpg][/IMG]

Dying black bamboo ramyad Bamboo 4 27-04-2009 11:13 PM
Dying bamboo? Pam Moore United Kingdom 6 03-01-2007 09:21 PM
My bamboo is dying! Nisse Gardening 6 30-03-2006 07:46 PM
Help: Fish STILL dying (was "fish are dying" JGW Ponds 16 15-06-2004 02:06 AM
Is my lewisia dying back or actually dying! Lynda Thornton United Kingdom 2 23-10-2002 07:36 PM