Old 18-07-2010, 06:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.gardens.bamboo

Default Has anyone turned bamboo?

"downhill" wrote in message
JimR wrote:
wrote in message
ster.com...
[snip]
Incidentally, I'd love to grow the giant bamboo. I've only seen it
growing in warm-to-hot climates and I'm wondering if it would
survive my downstate NY winters. Other bamboos do okay, though. Any
thoughts?

Nemo

You are not in a good area to get large diameter bamboo for crafts.
Just too cold, you might get micro climates to get some growth but it will
not be consistent. Found most of the bamboo north of westchester is
sheltered by hardwoods and will not reach published sizes. A bamboo from a
division should mature in 7 to 10 years if it will be happy in its new
location.

Ph vivax 4 to 5 inches over 40 feet
ph robert young 3 to 4 inches 30 plus feet
ph rubomarginata 2 to 3 inches 30 feet-- good for crafts
ph nigra 1.5 and 25 feet
ph aurosulcata variants 2 inches 30 feet--- not good for crafts ---
distributed through government farm programs for research and promotion

north shore of LI

Is it the wall thickness which makes a bamboo good for crafts?
The thicker the wall the better I suppose.

Old 19-07-2010, 03:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.gardens.bamboo

Pierre Lanuéjols wrote:
"downhill"
You are not in a good area to get large diameter bamboo for crafts.
Just too cold, you might get micro climates to get some growth but it will
not be consistent. Found most of the bamboo north of westchester is
sheltered by hardwoods and will not reach published sizes. A bamboo from a
division should mature in 7 to 10 years if it will be happy in its new
location.

Ph vivax 4 to 5 inches over 40 feet
ph robert young 3 to 4 inches 30 plus feet
ph rubomarginata 2 to 3 inches 30 feet-- good for crafts
ph nigra 1.5 and 25 feet
ph aurosulcata variants 2 inches 30 feet--- not good for crafts ---
distributed through government farm programs for research and promotion

north shore of LI

Is it the wall thickness which makes a bamboo good for crafts?
The thicker the wall the better I suppose.

Would depend on what craft your outputting. Basket weaving uses the
outer shell for weaving and strips the inner softer wood away. Almost
any will work with weaving if aged bamboo is used, and using a
preservative on a single piece basic has a decent life span
The problem with using bamboo grown in US is the inability to kill
bamboo borers and other pests in the curing process. The method of
curing bamboo that works is not permitted to be done in US due to toxicity.
I bought a package of bamboo utensils at a shop in NYC chinatown. The
package was sealed and had an air bubble in it. After leaving the
package on a shelf by the window for a few weeks. I noticed tiny holes
in the utensils. With further inspection I noticed bamboo borers and the
package was still sealed with air pressure.
If you think I do not know what I am talking about put a white sheet of
paper under a bamboo item let it sit for two months shake the item over
the paper before removing it. Examine the remains, if you see an
excessive amount of yellow dust examine the item for small
holes.including bamboo flooring
Old 22-07-2010, 06:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.gardens.bamboo

wrote:

"downhill"

[...]

Thank you, Pierre, for the info on bambo species. I don't think my local
climate is going to work out - the only bamboo I've seen around here is
skinny stuff, not really turn-worthy.

But your comment on curing bamboo raises a question. If overseas methods are
not allowed here due to toxicity, should we be worried about imported bamboo
eating and cooking utensils? What's in the stuff that's so toxic?

Nemo

Not Pierre.
Heading to Lime Rock for the next 3 days so I will pass through your
area. The only bamboo that I have seen are P japonica & ph bissitti and
yellow groove Ph aureosulcata.
You need to check Farley's "Book of Bamboo" for the actual process but I
think it involved a bromide compound.
Not many people eat on bamboo, and if you pay any attention to what
china will put in a product take cadmium in children's jewelry you would
be inspecting things from china in more detail.

koikeeper
Old 25-07-2010, 03:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.gardens.bamboo

"downhill" wrote in message

"downhill"

[...]

For small items, you can kill any pests by putting them in the freezer for a
couple of days. On my list of projects are chopstick rests and perhaps corn
holders, as well as the things I listed in a separate posting. I don't know
what I"ll use for a finish - depending on the color I want, it might be
lacquer, or if a natural finish, walnut oil.