Old 27-06-2011, 11:18 PM
Registered User

Default Himalayacalamus hookerianus 'Himalaya Blue' wont grow

The title says it all really. My other bamboos grow like mad; P Henonis 'Nigra', P. Spectabilis, P. Boryana but my Himalayacalamus hookerianus 'Himalaya Blue' just wont grow. I have sandy loam PH neutral. What can I do to encourage it?????
Old 28-06-2011, 01:31 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelo View Post
The title says it all really. My other bamboos grow like mad; P Henonis 'Nigra', P. Spectabilis, P. Boryana but my Himalayacalamus hookerianus 'Himalaya Blue' just wont grow. I have sandy loam PH neutral. What can I do to encourage it?????
Rewind June and see if we get some warmer weather at a second attempt? Move somewhere warmer? Grow it in a greenhouse? The other ones you mention will go great guns in weather that is rather cooler than H hookerianus appreciates. Actually you are lucky yours is still alive after last winter.

If you want a good "blue" bamboo that is happier in cooler climates, have a look at some of the newer Borinda species/varieties that have come on the market in the last few years, though some of those died last winter. But they probably won't be quite as remarkable in their culm markings as H hookerianus. Himalayacalamus Hookeriana
Old 28-06-2011, 03:31 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinosum View Post
Rewind June and see if we get some warmer weather at a second attempt? Move somewhere warmer? Grow it in a greenhouse? The other ones you mention will go great guns in weather that is rather cooler than H hookerianus appreciates. Actually you are lucky yours is still alive after last winter.

If you want a good "blue" bamboo that is happier in cooler climates, have a look at some of the newer Borinda species/varieties that have come on the market in the last few years, though some of those died last winter. But they probably won't be quite as remarkable in their culm markings as H hookerianus. Himalayacalamus Hookeriana
My one has been in the ground for four years and grew up to 5 feet last year. This year ,however, it's been moody. My others grew up to 12 feet last year so I'm looking for 15+ feet this year.
Old 28-06-2011, 04:12 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelo View Post
My one has been in the ground for four years and grew up to 5 feet last year. This year ,however, it's been moody.
Your other bamboos are also all hardy to -25C whereas the Him..mus is only hardy to about -8C. Your Hf is a bigger warmth-junkie than your other bamboos. It needs more warmth to thrive than we have been having recently. Lots of other warmth-loving plants have been just the same this year. My outdoor chilli peppers and squash are weeks behind on where they have been any previous year I have been growing them. People growing bananas are saying similar things.

Like you, several of my bamboos have loved this wet, if cool, June and are putting out their biggest ever culms this year. But another one is sulking; no new culms at all from it for the second year running. There's a sulk for you.
It's a very hungry boo and I haven't been giving it a summer feed; it's a very thirsty boo and all I do is give it the odd bucket-full during extended dry spells. These are things I can fix. Harder to fix the weather.

You may find, if we have a warm July, that it shoots late. But then you'll be at risk that the culms don't harden off in time to survive the winter: that is a common problem with its close relative candy-cane bamboo (Damarapa). I've also learned to snip off any late shootings (it's been known to try shooting as late as end September) on my Thamnocalamus as they never harden off in time, and it is just a waste of energy.
Old 28-06-2011, 05:00 PM
Registered User

[...]

Yes, my other bamboos are throwing out huge, fat culms and look fabulous in another 6 weeks or so. My moso didn't like it here and I'm glad I raised that one from seed! lol

Old 28-06-2011, 07:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo

(http://tinyurl.com/5rm3gk4)

My one has been in the ground for four years and grew up to 5 feet last
year. This year ,however, it's been moody. My others grew up to 12 feet
last year so I'm looking for 15+ feet this year.

If they are tissue culture plants I would not expect normal growth numbers.