Old 02-05-2012, 01:39 PM
Registered User

Default Thinning out a VERY young bamboo?

Hi all

First time poster looking for a bit of advice.

I bought a P. nigra to experiment with. I plan to grow it in doors in a trough planter. know this is not recommended but I want to see what I can acheive.

I have thinned and maintained a few bamboo groves for people in the past but never dealt with such a young bamboo plant before

Anyway I bought a small (60cm tall and in a 5l pot) plant. at the moment it has quite a lot of very thin culms (a few mm). I was wondering if it should be thinned out now before I pot it on or whether it should be left to grow bigger before I thin it out? Also would 5l be too small to divide before I pot it on?

thanks
Old 03-05-2012, 12:19 PM
Registered User

Location: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp View Post
Hi all

First time poster looking for a bit of advice.

I bought a P. nigra to experiment with. I plan to grow it in doors in a trough planter. know this is not recommended but I want to see what I can acheive.

I have thinned and maintained a few bamboo groves for people in the past but never dealt with such a young bamboo plant before

Anyway I bought a small (60cm tall and in a 5l pot) plant. at the moment it has quite a lot of very thin culms (a few mm). I was wondering if it should be thinned out now before I pot it on or whether it should be left to grow bigger before I thin it out? Also would 5l be too small to divide before I pot it on?

thanks
Starting after the second summer of growth, it is good for the bamboo to be thinned out a bit. Take away only a few of the oldest canes (these will most likely be the smallest in the clump). Do not take more than 1/3 of the total mass of the clump, and do not take any of the newest growth. Once you have decided which canes to cut, cut them near the base, just above a node, which is the 2nd or 3rd node above the ground.

Always thin the bamboo out when it is dormant, this is usually over the winter months. The new spring and summer shoots are very brittle and they may abort if damaged. Old dead canes (culms) should be removed as low as possible, and also remove the thin culms, on plants that are now producing fatter culms. Lower branches can also be removed to show off the culms . Thinning out and removal of old culms and branches benefits the plant and does not set the bamboo back in any way. This thinning process allows in the sunlight and also the rain and therefor aids the speed and maturity of your bamboo.
__________________
Fruit Trees
Old 03-05-2012, 02:37 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen73 View Post
Starting after the second summer of growth, it is good for the bamboo to be thinned out a bit.
Awesome This answers my question.

Much appreciated
Old 21-05-2012, 10:04 AM
Registered User

[...]

Good advice, thanks. I've been looking into getting a bamboo this year, will use this
Old 01-06-2012, 08:37 AM
Registered User

Location: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp View Post
Awesome This answers my question.

Much appreciated
Thank you. I am happy you got your answers.
Fruit Trees

MUFFLER,very,very,very LOUD [email protected] Lawns 7 21-09-2006 06:13 PM
Thinning Bamboo Roger Bamboo 1 01-02-2006 08:38 PM
thinning bamboo Niall Smyth United Kingdom 6 11-04-2005 10:10 PM
Cutting culms while thinning bamboo Roger Bamboo 1 11-07-2004 08:06 AM
Cutting culms while thinning bamboo Roger Bamboo 3 11-07-2004 08:06 AM