Old 04-09-2003, 03:02 PM
Dave

Default Why is Banboo so expencive?

Why is Banboo so expencive?

From what I herd is grown very easily, just divide some and move it and it
will begin to grow. I can see pay $5-$10 for some but paying $19-$40 on
ebay is out of price range.
Is there something I don't know about the high price? Please advise.

Thanks,

David

Old 04-09-2003, 10:53 PM
bri

just wait un till you start paying over $125 for gal sized rare stuff!!!!

"Dave" wrote in message ...
Why is Banboo so expencive?

From what I herd is grown very easily, just divide some and move it and it

Old 05-09-2003, 12:21 AM
Bob Peticolas

It's expensive because digging divisions of bamboo is much more difficult
than dividing daylillies. What you're paying for is generally the labor.
Also, some varieties of bamboo have a high failure rate when divided. That
can increase the cost substantially for certain bamboo.

-----
Bob

Dave wrote in message ...
Why is Banboo so expencive?

From what I herd is grown very easily, just divide some and move it and it

Old 05-09-2003, 06:36 AM
Chris

"Bob Peticolas" wrote in message news:ZsO5b.113498$xf.63736@lakeread04...
It's expensive because digging divisions of bamboo is much more difficult
than dividing daylillies. What you're paying for is generally the labor.
Also, some varieties of bamboo have a high failure rate when divided. That
can increase the cost substantially for certain bamboo.

Not to mention the supply and demand of a capitalist market. It is
worth what people are willing to pay.

Golden Bamboo is usually very cheap. If you don't mind dealing with a
wicked runner and all the "issues" that come with it you can start
there. Often times you can dig it for free. I have a large stand
growing from a single small cutting from about 18 months ago. It is a
vigorus plant.

Chris
==digging a grove of oldhamii all month==
Old 05-09-2003, 09:23 AM
Travis

Dave wrote:
Why is Banboo so expencive?

From what I herd is grown very easily, just divide some and
move it and it will begin to grow. I can see pay $5-$10 for
some but paying $19-$40 on ebay is out of price range.
Is there something I don't know about the high price? Please
advise.

Buying plants on Ebay is prolly not a good idea. Buying locally allows
you to get the correct information on how to care for the plant and if
it is for sale locally it is prolly going to survive your particular
climate.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5

Old 12-09-2003, 12:17 AM
Beecrofter

"Dave" wrote in message ...
Why is Banboo so expencive?

From what I herd is grown very easily, just divide some and move it and it
will begin to grow. I can see pay $5-$10 for some but paying $19-$40 on
ebay is out of price range.
Is there something I don't know about the high price? Please advise.

Thanks,

David

They charge extra for spelling!
Old 14-09-2003, 03:12 PM
tropo

Why is Banboo so expencive?

From what I herd is grown very easily, just divide some and move it and

it
will begin to grow. I can see pay $5-$10 for some but paying $19-$40 on
ebay is out of price range.
Is there something I don't know about the high price? Please advise.

Thanks,

David

They charge extra for spelling!

this is very weird and so true !!!!
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in
waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is that frist
and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you
can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey
lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
ceehiro

Old 14-09-2003, 05:42 PM
Jerry Jorgenson

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 23:02:18 +1000, tropo wrote:

Why is Banboo so expencive?

They charge extra for spelling!

this is very weird and so true !!!!
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in
waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is that
frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl
mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do
not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe. ceehiro

Just try doing that with scientific names, which is the spelling they are
referring to :-)

Jerry

--
Jerry Jorgenson

http://www.j3iss.com/

Old 25-09-2003, 10:34 PM
Frits v/d Laan

As a bamboo grower I think most bamboos are overpriced. however
some bamboos do give trouble by unwanted shoots which take extra time
from the nursery to get rid off while others take up a lot of space
and grow too fast.

Other bamboo do not make new rootstocks very easely, it can take a
few years for some species to even begin to produce new plants.

(I grow all bamboo directly in the soil and pott them in spring of the
year that I sell them.
some growers grow them directly in a pot and repot them if nessesary.
this is a more expensive mathod, bamboos grow better in good natural
soil than in a pot.

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 08:41:54 -0400, "Dave" wrote:

Why is Banboo so expencive?

From what I herd is grown very easily, just divide some and move it and it

Old 01-02-2006, 11:09 PM
Registered User

Imagine that bamboos flowered every year. You could grow loads of them from seeds. As it is, you can split a plant every 1 - 5 years (sometimes more!) to get a new plant. That takes a fair amount of time and effort, and hence the high price. Bear in mind that plantings from established groves require a fair amount of attention to ensure that they survive, and even so there can be a significant failure rate! Hence the high price for some bamboos.
Old 23-03-2006, 08:56 AM
Registered User

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri
Wow! That is amazing, I could read your post without problems. Who
woulda thunk it.

this is very weird and so true !!!!
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in
waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is that frist
and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you
can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey
lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
ceehiro
I think that bamboo is a hardy shrub and craves attention it acclimatizes in the warm weather but needs to be constantly nurtured. Illnois university said they actually talk to their plants and some say hello back starnge?

hrefNo1fones.co.ukhref

A HREF="http://www.no1fones.co.uk/"Read my weblog/A
Old 23-03-2006, 09:01 AM
Registered User