GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Bamboo (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bamboo/)
-   -   Fargesia murielae "Jumbo" (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bamboo/23125-fargesia-murielae-jumbo.html)

Andrew Mackay 18-05-2003 08:20 PM

Fargesia murielae "Jumbo"

I have just puchased a number of Fargesia murielae "Jumbo" bamboo
(umbrella bamboo?) plants about 60cm high which I intend to plant at
50cm intervals to form a kind of hedge along our property boundary.

I am taking a bit of a risk with such a large initial investment as I
have no experience with bamboo.

My concerns a

They are fully exposed to sun most of the day (not that we have lots
of sun in west Germany). Will this be too much?

Are they able to be tied together to form a compact hedge, rather than
a great big spreading mass? At what height is this recommended?

I would like to plant more bamboo in a hedge format in a simalar sunny
spot. Is there are better suited bamboo, that will not develop long
roots?

Thanks in advance for your replies

Andrew Mackay
Aachen, Germany

Beecrofter 20-05-2003 04:08 PM

Fargesia murielae "Jumbo"

(Andrew Mackay) wrote in message . com...
[...]

Fargesias are mountain bamboos and do not do well in full sunny
exposure, I have killed a few myself.
You would probably do better with a mix of running bamboo and a well
installed rhizome barrier in a full sun exposure.