Old 09-06-2003, 03:20 PM
jh

Default Newbie Questions re. Bamboo in my garden

I bought a house 2 years ago and there was some Bamboo planted as a
hedge around the perimeter of the house. It has really come on and
looks great but it is starting to pop up all over the place. This
happens about once or max twice a year. I don't know if I should
simply cut the heads off as they pop up or whether I should dig as
deep as possible to cut as much of the root off as I can?

I have some photos available on
http://members14.clubphoto.com/jimmy...09/guest.phtml

So to my questions? Any help would be much appreciated.

1. Should I simply keep cutting them as they pop up and how low should
I go?
2. What variety of Bamboo do I have?
3. Would it work putting a sand trench in place about 1 metre or 3
feet from the main row and how deep should it be?
4. Any other advice?

Thanks
Old 09-06-2003, 03:56 PM
Travis

jh wrote:
I bought a house 2 years ago and there was some Bamboo planted as a
hedge around the perimeter of the house. It has really come on and
looks great but it is starting to pop up all over the place. This
happens about once or max twice a year. I don't know if I should
simply cut the heads off as they pop up or whether I should dig as
deep as possible to cut as much of the root off as I can?

I have some photos available on
http://members14.clubphoto.com/jimmy...09/guest.phtml

So to my questions? Any help would be much appreciated.

1. Should I simply keep cutting them as they pop up and how low should
I go?

You can lop them off at ground level or prune the rhizomes at the edge of
where you want the bamboo.

2. What variety of Bamboo do I have?

It is very difficult to identify bamboo just from pictures.

3. Would it work putting a sand trench in place about 1 metre or 3
feet from the main row and how deep should it be?

No, the trench won't work. You need to use HDPE 60 mil thick at least 3
feet deep with 2 or 3 inches above ground level.

4. Any other advice?

If you don't water the bamboo it will help a little to reduce it's running.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5

Old 10-06-2003, 10:56 PM
Beecrofter

(jh) wrote in message . com...
I bought a house 2 years ago and there was some Bamboo planted as a
hedge around the perimeter of the house. It has really come on and
looks great but it is starting to pop up all over the place. This
happens about once or max twice a year. I don't know if I should
simply cut the heads off as they pop up or whether I should dig as
deep as possible to cut as much of the root off as I can?

I have some photos available on
http://members14.clubphoto.com/jimmy...09/guest.phtml

So to my questions? Any help would be much appreciated.

1. Should I simply keep cutting them as they pop up and how low should
I go?
2. What variety of Bamboo do I have?
3. Would it work putting a sand trench in place about 1 metre or 3
feet from the main row and how deep should it be?
4. Any other advice?

Thanks

If every autumn you went through the sand trench and severed all the
rhizomes that were crossing it it would work.
80 centimeters deep should do fine . Deeper if the soil at that depth
is still fairly loose.

Old 14-06-2003, 12:56 PM
WX

On Mon, 09 Jun 2003 14:46:13 +0000, Travis wrote:

jh wrote:
[...]

Sounds like Phyllastachys aurea (Golden Bamboo). If you get to the shoots
while they are still short, put on a pair of boots and just walk around
and kick them off the rhizome...very easy.
It´s a very common species here in Northern New South Wales, Australia.
Phyllastachys aurea usually has 3 branches per node and there will be a
short groove in the stem (internode) just above the node.