GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Bamboo (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bamboo/)
-   -   ZONE 3 HARDY bamboo (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bamboo/34343-zone-3-hardy-bamboo.html)

Neal W. Chapman 26-06-2003 07:32 PM

ZONE 3 HARDY bamboo

Looking for advice/ sources for a bamboo hardy in zone 3
-30 ish, twin cities, Minnesota area

I recall my grandmother in Maine ( zone 3 ) having a nice patch

Any assistance is appreciated

Chris 27-06-2003 06:56 AM

ZONE 3 HARDY bamboo

"Neal W. Chapman" wrote in message ...
Looking for advice/ sources for a bamboo hardy in zone 3
-30 ish, twin cities, Minnesota area

I recall my grandmother in Maine ( zone 3 ) having a nice patch

Any assistance is appreciated

In a green house maybe... but Minnesota winters will kill anything :-)

I don't know of any bamboo that can survive in that climate. Maybe
something like PHYLLOSTACHYS BISSETTII with a very heavy mulch in the
winter time to keep the rhizomes from dying. If this did survive AT
ALL, it would kill all top growth and hopefully come back in the
spring.

I hope that somebody else might have an idea for you... ever
considered a greenhouse??? :-)