Old 05-03-2003, 08:40 PM
Tao Shan

Default Shakuhachi

To Flutes - Anyone out there in the UK make Shakuhachis for sale?

To Bamboo - Anyone in the UK grow a Bamboo suitable for making into a
Shakuhachi?

For those who would like more info on the Shakuhachi, please visit
http://www.navaching.com/shaku/shakuindex.html

May whatever God you have faith in bless you always...

Tao Shan

Old 09-03-2003, 08:09 PM
tom A

Hi
I really enjoyed reading all the info that was on the URL you posted

I hope every body else did as well, now if my Bamboo will only grow
big enough to make something with it..

it would be nice to say I made this with the bamboo that grew by my
pond :-)

thanks for the URL

tom A.

Please check my WeB SiTe: www.kinetickites.com
or call me @ 405-722-KITE (5483)
or E-mail @

Old 09-03-2003, 09:20 PM
Tao Shan

It was my pleasure Tom. I hope that you get to make your Shakhachi...

If you haven't already done so, seek out the 'Book of Bamboo' by David
Farrelly
(http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...orgebraddock/1
03-3282128-5530257 USA, or
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...addock/026-390
4255-1008417 UK) - it contains a wealth of information on bamboo's many
uses...

Old 02-04-2003, 06:20 PM
Tao Shan

If you want to play it like a flute then it is as easy as a flute; however,
to learn to play a shakuhachi as it should be played is somewhat harder.

Try to seek out a few tracks to get a clearer understanding of what i mean.

I smile because I am happy.

Old 03-04-2003, 03:32 PM
Toby

Depends on what you mean by "play". Getting a basic sound is not too
difficult if you play flute (although the embouchure is somewhat different)
but playing is an entirely different matter. The classical shakuhachi has
only five holes, so many notes can be achieved only by half-holing and
changing the angle of the flute (meri and kari). In addition to learn the
many subtleties of traditional Japanese music takes many years of diligent
study.

Toby

Old 13-01-2004, 01:48 PM
Registered User

Hello, I know this is quite an old post but I thought I would let you know that I found a flute at:-

http://www.knockonwood.co.uk/

I believe they import them from Monty Levenson's company (Tai Hei), they only however import the most basic flute available, though they also supply his book on the subject of making Shakuhachi.
I have also been looking for people in the UK who make/sell them
I did import a flute a couple of years ago from the U.S. but it was quite costly and unfortunately I ran it over at my place of work ....still thats another story.
Hope this helps someone.